• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got stuck with the cleric

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I agree with the above sentiments that 3E clerics are a lot of fun to play, especially compared to 2E clerics.

My one piece of advice: Though it will be tempting, don't multiclass to get a level of fighter or another class. Stick with a single-class cleric. You'll get the really good spells that much quicker. If you take a prestige class, try to take one that lets you continue to get spells per day in your cleric class.

Have fun.

UD

First Post
I agreee, Mid -to - high level clerics are insane! They can become comabt machines. Just remeber to take extend spell and persistent spell feats.

bret

First Post
You will also want to become thoughly familiar with the Spontaneous Casting rules. Spontaneous Cures are your (and your groups) friend.

You can not spontanteously convert your domain spells, so choose them carefully.

Unless you have Healing as your domain, never memorize a Cure spell. You can afford to take some of the weird, special circumstance spells. since they can just be converted to cures if that is what you need.

By the time you get to 9th level (5th level spells), you are going to want a feat that allows you to improve the basic cure spells. I suggest Empower, although Maximize is also a reasonable choice.

If you want to do something a bit different with a war cleric, you could become the magical protector of warrior. Work to make sure that the fighters are always pumped up for action and properly protected against those who oppose you. Lots of use of Shield Other and Spiritual Weapon, not much melee action.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
St Cuthbert str and destruction domains, oh yeah.

Focus on the justice aspect, and you can seriously be proactive in your butt kicking for goodness. Also a near fanatic justice oriented charater is an easy hook for roleplaying, and for adventure launching, and a decent platform for leadership roles in the party.

Feats 1st level you got to take extend spell, higer levels persistent spell. I'd go for human for that extra feat and bonus skill points. Dwarfs rock as well since you will likely be wearing heavy armor anyways so who cares if you are slow, and drakvision is really cool. As a human the extra feat at 1st level, tons of options are open to you, personally I think most of the cleric ones in the cleric paladin book aren't that great, but that's me. I'd personally take scribe scroll, you can scribe a scroll really fast, and give your self a bunch of healing scrolls to buff up the party, and you can load up on a bunch of utility spells you normally wouldn't take. I'd ignore potions, it has great short term utility, but the 3rd level cap makes it suck at higher levels. I'd just pay market price and buy healing potions at the lower levels through my church. I'd also shoot for craft wonderous item, and craft arms and armor. You can then equip the party and yourself with some really cool stuff. The barb in the group will probably pay lots of money for gauntlets of ogre power for example.

Extended and persistent spells to look towards, bulls str, endurance, divine faith, greater magic weapon, magic vestment x2 for shield and armor, at high levels I really like a persistent circle v evil. If you use a club one of St Cuthberts chosen weapons, the thorns spells(spikes and brambles) from the cleric book really rock as well.

Never forget the yo god style div spells like augery, they are perhaps the most powerful div spells in the game. Just don't over-use them it generally pisses off the DM.

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Oh yeah for St. Cuthbert and the justice aspect, I personally like shooting for a more inverstigator/rooter out of evil style justice cleric. Then I really dig that oracle esq. cleric prestige class, I think it gets something like evasion v fort and will spells and some other cool hookups. It really fits if you focus a lot on div spells and skills like gather info. (which by the way gives you some cool out of combat utility)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads