D&D 5E Gothic Horror In The Rain

Draffyr

First Post
If I'm not too late to add some small things, there are a couple consequences of the rain that no one has discussed. (Sorry if my formatting is off, this is my first post on this website.)

First, there's the lack of sunlight: The lesser of the problems would be something akin to seasonal affective disorder. If people go without direct sunlight for months, they become withdrawn and depressed. That's pretty well covered already in the idea of it being a gloomy place, but this is a psychological reason for it. The worse side effect of lack of sunlight is a lack of vitamin D, which causes rickets in children. Their bones become brittle, their bodies are deformed, they're physically weak, and they suffer from muscle spasms. I don't know about anyone else, but a bunch of strange looking kids twitching at me all the time would be pretty disconcerting, and the next generation being so sickly would add a whole other sense of urgency to finding a solution to the constant rain.

The second problem with the rain: mold. Lots and lots of mold. Depending on the type, symptoms of mold exposure can range from a simple cough to open sores to memory loss, mania, delusions and death. Of course, death would lead to a smaller population, so maybe not that one, but having people coughing up blood and believing that the REAL sun is buried in their basement if they could just dig deep enough to find it or avoiding the word "radish" because it'll make their house fall down would make things a little creepier.

Last edited:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
If I'm not too late to add some small things, there are a couple consequences of the rain that no one has discussed.
Certainly not too late, I'm just headed to start my first session. :)

Also, welcome to ENWorld!

First, there's the lack of sunlight:
These are some good suggestions, though I plan to use them sparingly. I don't want all the children to be deformed, but a rise in that could be pretty frightening. Also, it gives some options for NPC motivations; perhaps some are hiding deformed children? Maybe some are trying to kill said children?

The second problem with the rain: mold.
Yes, yes, and more yes. I love the ideas you're suggesting for mold madness, especially the digging down for the sun. Simply brilliant. I will use that one for certain.

I'm about to head off to my first session just now, and following that, I will begin an actual playtest thread. But to cap off this one, I'll leave the area map:

Attachments

• map_for_web.jpg
    map_for_web.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 108

Remove ads