Grab and Grappling Strike

Ferghis

First Post
One of the ways I'm finding myself making this decision is by determining whether I should apply my imagined limitations to what I think a power is doing, or I should use ONLY the language printed in the books. In pondering this train of thought I asked myself if the character could grab more than two enemies, and if so, what number I would limit it at.

I realize that PC grabs must be sustained and so there are economy-of-action limitations, but for this thought-experiment, let's use grab attack that's listed under the Jhakar Trapjaw - a small natural beast (reptile), which has no sustain requirement, and is also the creature's MBA: the name of the attack is "Bite." There is no text limiting the number of targets the creature can grab with its attack. Would you, as a DM, allow it to grab a second target with that attack if a first target was still grabbed? If yes, how about a third one? Any number of targets?

I know I'd limit it to one grabbed target at a time. It just makes sense to me. And I'm not upset if others would do otherwise, but, at some point, the game is trying to make sense in my imagination. And if I don't add that limitation, I guess it doesn't make sense to me.

Ferghis

First Post
I can't say that I'm certain that "grab attacks" means only the universal power, but I was inclined to think so as well.
The Clockwork scorpion uses different language: "You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls to grab an enemy." Published in Dragon Magazine 385, page(s) 42.

Anyone have an opinion whether that applies only to the universal grab attack, or any attack that grabs?

Nope, neither 'yes' nor 'no' is really a GOOD answer. It is one of those things, and as for what the RAW is I think we've pretty well already thrashed out that it is rather open to interpretation. So, I will pass on this, lol. For the record though I wouldn't allow it to give a brawler fighter +2 to all his at-will attacks...

Remove ads