• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grasp of the Emerald Claw map gallery

Flyspeck23

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Is it just me or are those maps way below the usual WOTC standard?

Definetly.

Is this an Eberron "line look" they're going for here?

Or put another way-- are all of the Eberron maps about the same quality?

No, and no - although there are some issues with the overland maps in the CS, at least the other maps don't look as if drawn by the writer themselves ;)

Fiery James

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
From the front page:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eb/20050128a

Is it just me or are those maps way below the usual WOTC standard?

Is this a new cartographer?

Is this an Eberron "line look" they're going for here?

Or put another way-- are all of the Eberron maps about the same quality?

Wulf

Wow! I could have done those! If that's the new standard, then look out Ed Bourelle -- I'm taking over! ;)

- James

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Fiery James said:
Wow! I could have done those! If that's the new standard, then look out Ed Bourelle -- I'm taking over! ;)

That's almost exactly what I was thinking (right down to invoking Ed's name!)

There must be some explanation for it, though. It's not like WOTC is working on a PDF publisher's budget.

It had to be a conscious choice.

Wulf

Davelozzi

Explorer
Well, they may not be artsy, but they're plenty functional, and it's cool of them to throw them up as downloads.

At any rate, they're done by Dennis Kauth, and yes, that's about the same level of map quality in the other Eberron adventures. Maybe they think they're pulpy? Who knows.

The overland maps in the campaign book are a lot prettier.

Eremite

Explorer
The maps are functional, at least, whereas I'm sure that the adventure will suffer from basic design flaws that will require a combination of a John Cooper review and some reworking of key events before it is truly useful.

Edit: I bought this today and it's a rather good adventure. If I had known it was by Bruce Cordell I wouldn't have made the nasty comment that I just struck out.... :eek:

Last edited:

Wild Gazebo said:
Maps and Eberron don't get along very well.
I still don't even have a decent map of the campaign setting. I've got the completely unlabelled one in the campaign setting, that does little more than show where the countries are. I've also downloaded an 11x17 pdf that someone put a lot of effort into in creating a Khorvaire continent map in CC. But that one, ironically, does not list the countries, just all the other features. :\

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads