Great Authors that AREN'T in Appendix N.

Hal G

First Post
For me, (in my own appendix N) the prose does not have to be good, it just had to take me into the world, I want to think about it after I set the book down, the books that did this for me growing up that are not on this list or mentioned are:

Terry Brooks-Sword of Shannara (sorry, it did)
Robert Adams-Horseclans Series
Mark Ramsey-Falcon Series
For Top Secret:
Jerry Ahern- Survivalist Series
Mack Bolan Books

Just a few off the top of my head.

delericho

Legend
Cornwell, Bernard: "Warlord" trilogy - a retelling of the Arthur story, with a distinctly 'historical' slant, but some very definite fantasy elements.

Dumas, Alexandre: "The Three Musketeers" - not fantasy, but appropriate to a lot of campaigns, and a great novel.

Pratchett, Terry: "Discworld" series, et al

Pullman, Philip: "His Dark Materials" trilogy (shame about the ending, though)

Rowling, JK: "Harry Potter" series

Weis & Hickman: "Dragonlance Chronicles", "Dragonlance Legends" (only). I'm very torn about including these, since they're D&D-derived. However, by the criteria in the OP, I believe they qualify.

Hobb, Robin: "Farseer" trilogy, "Tawny Man" trilogy, "Soldier Son" trilogy; et al.

Ick. I've only read the "Soldier Son" trilogy, and really didn't like it. I've heard her other stuff is better, but that trilogy I would strongly recommend against.

rgard

Adventurer
David Gemmell - Drenai Series, Rigante series, Stones of Power / Sipstrassi tales, Jon Shannow series, Hawk Queen series and individual books: Knights of Dark Renown, Morningstar, Dark Moon, Echoes of the Great Song, as well as his historical fiction with the Greek and Troy series.

Nellisir

Hero
For me, (in my own appendix N) the prose does not have to be good, it just had to take me into the world, I want to think about it after I set the book down
I was thinking something very similar about "The Name of the Wind". It's certainly a very good book (as is the sequel), and I highly recommend them, but it just didn't have something for me to really "take back" into my game. Some books are great to read, but don't inspire me. Some books inspire me, but aren't quite so "great".

Jemisin, N.K: "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms" series
There's a series with something I want to take back to my games. :)

Incidently, I've got a whole list of authors I could, and eventually will, post, but I want to hear what everyone else says first.

Nellisir

Hero
Are you enjoying them? I am big fan of Andre Norton I think I have come close to having all her books. One of my favorites is Beastmaster.
I am. I've been doing a tremendous amount of reading over the past several years, and it's really interesting to move between "modern" fantasy (ie Patrick Rothfuss) and something like Witch World (published in 1964). The whole conceit of Simon Tregarth as someone from our world is very "John Carter", but Simon is not John Carter.

Cook, Glen: "The Black Company" series, et al
Hell yes also his Dread Empire series
Lots of books already read and enjoyed have preceded me, but lots of new stuff for me to find (so thanks!)

Also:
Glenn Wolfe Book of the New Sun
All the Malazan books, like DL they were a DnD campaign then GURPs that have made 2 great series of novels. I wish they'd publish the campaign setting!

Elf Witch

First Post
Andre Norton is in Appenix N. She actually wrote the first D&D novel (Quag Keep) after playing D&D.

Funny enough, it sort of has the same plot as the D&D Cartoon (players getting caught up in a fantasy world, in this case, Greyhawk)

But yeah, she is one of those pioneering authors of modern fantasy that seems to be unappreciated these days

I am going blind I looked at the list three times to see if she was on it. :blush:

Quag Keep is one of the books I have been trying to add to my collection. I read it hears ago but I barely remember it. I had checked it out of the library.

She wrote so many wonderful books some may not be great literature but they are rollicking fun adventures. She was a wonderful woman and so warm to her fans. She lived in Florida for awhile and often came to Tropicon our now defunct local SF con. I had the pleasure of sharing popcorn with her when a group of us went to see Star Trek The Undiscovered Country.

Elf Witch

First Post
I am. I've been doing a tremendous amount of reading over the past several years, and it's really interesting to move between "modern" fantasy (ie Patrick Rothfuss) and something like Witch World (published in 1964). The whole conceit of Simon Tregarth as someone from our world is very "John Carter", but Simon is not John Carter.

I read the Witch World and the John Carter books around the same time. I enjoyed how they both handled the man from another world theme. And both characters and stories were very different in how they did it.

I reread things a lot and when say I read something new and then go read something from the 60s or the 80s especially if it is science fiction you can see how the filed has changed. You see it with fantasy too.

To be honest I am getting a little tired of some urban fantasy. I swear if I read about one more heroine who is naturally beautiful without trying who never dressed up but when she does she is breath taking , who has a chip on her shoulder a mile wide, and is the biggest Mary Sue ever my head will explode. :rant:

Remove ads