Great new retro-clone - Fantastic Heroes & Witchery (free PDF)

dm4hire

Explorer
Anyone order the book yet? $37 for a hardback that size is actually pretty good price. Though don't know how well Lulu does their binding.

Turanil

First Post
Hey, I didn't know that someone had started a thread about Fantastic Heroes & Witchery. :eek: I wanted to first put the website online before making any announcement here. The website is not complete, but the download section is in place! (click below)

In any case, thanks for all your kind comments. :cool: Maybe I will eventually submit this RPG for the next Ennies, when I have figured out how it works.

Last edited:

Wow, that's cool. Nice presentation!

Ironically I'm doing something similar -- assembling my own retro-clone variant -- and was considering posting the free .pdf once I get done (an early partial draft is in a thread around here on EN World -- still a lot of work to do providing descriptions and flavor text though most of the essential mechanics are complete). I've done some eBook and POD publishing so I know how much work that is. But with the amount of art in that book, the work put into layout ... I'm blown away, and more than a little intimidated. Artwork and that kind of layout are way beyond my level of skill.

Last edited:

Beastman

First Post
Anyone order the book yet? $37 for a hardback that size is actually pretty good price. Though don't know how well Lulu does their binding.

I have it (version 1.0). And it is well worth the money. Quality of the book seems pretty good, although I haven't done any rough handling as of yet. I currently do my first read-through - arrived at the plane's chapter. But I will possibly skip most of the 666 spells - this is too much for me...quality of the writing is good, too. there are a couple of typos. but i read that the authoor will collect and corrent them for version 1.1 of the book.

so again: nice mix of classes, fantasy/wired/sci-fantasy, some very useful things to steal (or use) but too many spells (but i can live with that ;-) ) uh nearly forgot: good art, too (nearly all of it) and nice overall presentantion.

Turanil

First Post
Multi-Classes in Fantastic Heroes & Witchery

I always thought that multi-classed characters (as in 1e/2e) were somewhat broken. Compare for example an 8th level fighter, or a 8th level wizard to a multi-class fighter/wizard. Well, for almost the same number of XP the character will be but one level behind. So you get a 7th level fighter (albeit with less hit-points) who can cast spells as a 7th level wizard. Frankly why hesitate when comparing to the 8th level character? However, when one reaches the higher levels (10th and higher), gaining XP becomes so long, that such characters progress too slowly (even as mutli-class).

As such, I worked on how implement multi-classed characters in Fantastic Heroes & Witchery. In fact they use a specific XP progression, and only use the base NPC classes. As such I think they won't outshine single-class characters. If you want to see the result, go and download the (free) 10 pages document I wrote, that is available on the website. :)

Turanil

First Post
FH&W update

I just uploaded version 1.2 after having fixed a few errors and a couple of typos. I also toned down the Agent of Chaos/Law class, and the Psionic Blast ability, as was requested in another thread (i.e. on RPG.net). And I removed a line about winged folks' flying maneuverability, since aerial combat and flying rules are not detailed in FH&W (I thought it wouldn't be useful, and didn't know how treat it well and simple).

-> So, now it's told that Agent of Chaos/Law gets access to a limited spell list as determined by the GM, with a suggestion of 4 divine spheres for Chaos agents, and 4 others for Law agents. Since it's determined by the GM, he could still give all Black Magic spells access to Agents of Chaos if he wishes (e.g. in cases one would play Elric in this game). I will add that since spells are granted by a deity, and this is determined for each character, the GM could augment or reduce the spell repertoire as the PC gains levels, and from a gamist perspective, appears too weak or too powerful. I like the game being flexible. Reason for which Talents are optional, and the 30 proposed being only suggestions (I will say again that if GMs and players miss the lack of additional attacks per round for fighters, they may become a talent of their own. The first one would be: get an additional attack every two rounds; and if taken a second time it becomes 2 attacks per round; etc.).

-> Regarding Psionic Blast, it's now simpler: a Charisma save negates, and there is no special case regarding the save on a natural 1. I looked at all earlier Psionic Blasts (from 1e to 3e), and it was always done different. So FH&W version is still different, but looks like an average compared to those from 1e to 3e.

If one were to order a hardcopy fairly soon would it be version 1.2? I don't know what timeframes are like on the update process at lulu and I would like the latest version when I order. Thanks.

Turanil

First Post
If one were to order a hardcopy fairly soon would it be version 1.2? I don't know what timeframes are like on the update process at lulu and I would like the latest version when I order. Thanks.

Right now, it is V.1.2 on lulu. Unfortunately, some typos are still appearing from time to time. After having proofread the book by myself twice, I seem unable to find new typos and errors. One eventually becomes blind to his own text. Some readers keep sending me reports of typos when they find them, and I fix them as soon as I get them. So, when I release the book on Amazon (V.1.3), is when I will be comfortable that the book is now clean (though maybe not 100%). I haven't the money to afford a professional proof-reader.

If you prurchase V.1.2 now, it's better than precedent, but you will unfortunately still find a few typos.

Turanil

First Post
Temporary withdrawal of the POD (i.e. print on demand) books on Lulu.

I originally did two proof-readings of the text, and then again more corrections of typos and errors. Unfortunately, still more of them are continuously reported to me by some of you who did buy the book. I am really ashamed of this and sorry. So, until Version 1.3 (that hopefully will be finally cleaned up), I suspend the sales of the printed book. I cannot afford 3,000 euros for a professional proof-reading though, so will do it again by myself, adding in the occasional help of those readers who report to me what they found. I plan for V.1.3 to be released in February. Until then, you may still download the free version. Thanks for your understanding.

Turanil

First Post
At last it is completed and available: Fantastic Heroes & Witchery Version 2! I hope you will enjoy it!

You can download it it for free here: Heroes-&-Witchery website

You can buy it on LULU.com here: FH&W on Lulu.com

This was mostly about cleaning the text (fixing errors and editing all typos we could find), and seeing that the book was not inadvertently infringing on some copyrights. To this end, I rewrote and renamed 70 spells. In fact, the spells that disappeared (and where replaced by similar, yet different spells) are not considered unusable where gaming is considered, it's just that I prefer not see them anymore, where complying with the OGL is considered...

Thanks again to those who bought the book. Yet, sorry for the typos and errors that I didn't see before releasing version 1.0 to 1.3. Version 2.0 is the final version! I want now dedicate myself to other books (first the bestiary, then the swords & planets campaign setting, then novels...).

(Please: if you like the book, tell it on the Lulu.com page. Thanks! :) )

Remove ads