• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great Throw

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
My copy of OA mentions a feat called "Great Throw" but it is not detailed anywhere. Is it from another book, is it a misprint, or am I just missing something?

And if you happen to know, could you tell me what the feat does for you?

Crothian

First Post
They accidently left it out of the book. I can't find my copy of the feat or I'd copy and paste it in here. If you search the En World front page from about 2 months back, it was posted there. Wizards probably has it on their page somewhere.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Thanks, I found it!

Great Throw [General]
You can throw your opponents to the ground, choosing where they land and dealing damage in the process.

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Dexterity 13+, Dodge, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes

Benefit: When you make a successful unarmed trip attack against a creature no larger than your own size, you can choose where the creature lands, within the area you threaten. In addition, you deal your normal unarmed strike damage to the opponent. When you use this option, however, you may not make a followup melee attack using the Improved Trip feat.

Crothian

First Post
Cool, thanks for posting it. I copied and pasted it someplace I'll be able to find it next time. I'm also sure others will have this question and need the feat.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Just had a thought: do you think a Great Throw, moving the victim from one side of you to the other, could provoke an attack of opportunity on the person being thrown?

He is, after all, leaving a threatened area, moving 10 feet, and all that. Seems this could be like a bull rush (involuntary movement that provokes an AoO). If so, it makes the feat rather powerful.

PS: Ok, so I just read the SRD section on Bull Rush and it doesn't mention anything about the forced movement provoking AoO's. Doesn't the PHB say something to that effect though?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Xahn'Tyr said:
Ok, so I just read the SRD section on Bull Rush and it doesn't mention anything about the forced movement provoking AoO's. Doesn't the PHB say something to that effect though?

Yes, the PH says that you can provoke AoO when forcedto move via a bull rush - but the attack can go awry (25%? 50%?).

graydoom

First Post
Wow, that would be just plain evil. Just do it with a couple of your friends standing nearby... and watch all the AoOs he provokes!

And yes, being bull rushed through threatened areas does provoke AoOs, per page 136 of the PHB. There is a 25% of hitting the other person instead of the one you were aiming for.

Corwin

Explorer
Well I just got this feat for my monk. I played with it for the first time last night and loved it. What fun.

A few of the nifty tactics I used last night:

1) I would toss an opponent to the ground behind me, landing him in front of my rogue friend who was two squares behind me. Since the opponent was now laying on the ground between us, the rogue was then able to take his held action, getting a full attack with sneak attacks at an additional +6 to hit (flank and prone opponent).

2) At one point I was standing next to a pit when a ghast charged me. I was able to toss him down into the pit.

3) I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works in conjunction with my karmic stance feat as well. If you hit me, I throw you to the ground in front of the rest of my friends and let them have at you. I can't wait.

I really like this feat. It isn't as great as some feats, but it has a few nice advantages. Basically it's Improved Improved Trip. You now get to deal your damage when you knock them down, instead of having to roll a second attack on a follow up to the normal Improved Trip. And it lets you use a touch attack to deal damage (assuming you trip successfully, of course). One of the neatest things is that it lets you maneuver the enemy around somewhat.

It helps to get your trip rolls up as high as you can though. I happen to have a pretty pumped up Strength (21). I also just had a pair of bracers of striking (from MoF) made with +2 sweeping built into them. So not only am I now a +2 weapon, but I get the +4 to trip attacks from the sweeping ability. Really sweet, but very expensive (37,310 gp). I think it was worth it though.

Anyway, I am quite happy with this feat so far.

As to the AoO thing: I don't think it should work like a bull rush. If it did, I think it would say so. The DotF feat shield bash does. This one does not. That would make it much more powerful anyway, IMO. Just be happy tossing those bad guys around and letting your friends get the +4 for prone opponents. That's good enough.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Bull Rush Results: If the combatant beat the
defender, the combatant pushes the defender back 5 feet. If the
combatant wishes to move with the defender, the combatant can
push the defender back up to a distance of an additional 1 foot
for each point by which the combatant exceeded the defender's
check result. A combatant can't, however, exceed his or her
normal movement limit.

I had thought that pushing someone backwards with a BullRush could cause attacks of opportunity on them (the defender). But the SRD doesn't say that. If this sort of involuntary movement does not provoke AoO's, then I suppose that it is reasonable that the involuntary movement from a Great Throw does not either. Still looks like a fun feat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads