• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great Throw

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
From the PHB, in parenthases immediately after that quote from the SRD.

"(Note: The defender provokes attacks of oppertunity if he is moved. So do you if you move with him. The two of you do not provoke attacks of oppertunity from each other as a result of this movement.)"

I think that settles it rather nicely, and proves that you shouldn't take the SRD at face value.

Corwin

Explorer
I was already aware of the rule for bull rushing provoking AoOs. That wasn't an issue for me.

That's why I said that Great Throw should not allow AoOs for the opponent being thrown around. The feat does not mention this being a feature of the ability. So I don't believe it is one.

Bull Rush and Shield Bash both specify that the AoOs are possible due to the bull rushing rules. Great Throw, however, does not list such a thing. If it was intended to do so, I believe it would have been added to the description of the feat.

All IMO, of course.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Sorry, I wasn't responding to your post, I was simply posting the ommitted part of Xan's quote.

I agree that having that feature would make the feat very powerful, but having 5 feats as a pre-req generally means that a feat is gonna kick some rear. That's one more feat than WWA.

As to whether or not the ommitted text means that it doesn't, we all know that OA needs some hefty errata. Without limitations, Falling Star Strike and Freeze the Lifeblood are incredibly overpowered.

I once gave an Ogre monk Great Throw and put him on a narrow bridge with a deep spiked pit on either side.

Our frontline fighter charged, and the Ogre AoO him from the movement, grabbed him, and tossed him down onto the spikes.

The "Holy :):):):):)" look on the player's face was priceless.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Thanks for the PHB addition; would have been nice if the SRD said that as well. My opinion is still the same: If involuntary movment causes AoO's, then Great Throw does. That parenthetical quote from the PHB convinces me that involuntary movement provokes AoOs. I think it's a clarification rather than an exeption being noted; but I can certainly see how it could be interpreted either way.

As for what they meant with Great Throw, I really have no idea. I would allow the throw to provoke AoOs but, like Bull Rush, I would not grant one to the thrower. As you heft the victim over your head, it makes sense that they would be off guard for a second so I can see your adjacent friends being able to take advantage of the opportunity. It makes sense from a realism point of view, and a rules perspective as well. The only problem is game balance. Is it too powerful of a side effect for the feat? Given the lengthy list of prerequisites, I think that it is justified, but playtesting could well prove that wrong.

One possible limitation, also derivable from the bull rush rules, would be to say any AoO taken against the victim have a 25% chance of hitting the thrower instead (since they are in very close contact while the movement is taking place).

Corwin

Explorer
Xahn'Tyr said:

One possible limitation, also derivable from the bull rush rules, would be to say any AoO taken against the victim have a 25% chance of hitting the thrower instead (since they are in very close contact while the movement is taking place).

If you are going to add this to the feat, I think this is the only fair way to do it. So I agree that the 25% part should remain.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads