Greatest Fantasy Warriors?

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Feels out of place to not say Erekose and all of the incarnations of the Eternal Champion.
Also, pretty much every main character in the David Gemmell books, most notably Druss the Legend but also secondary characters like Decado the Ice Killer

Because the thread calls for "greatest."
Okay. Arguably not the greatest, but I'd definitely take him over some others.

Random side note: General Kael is specifically named after Pauline Kael, the movie critic. Kael's review of the Sound of Music? " [A] sugarcoated lie that people seem to want to eat." Nasty stuff.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
As in the Greatest Wizards thread I am late to the party and all the people I'd list are already listed. Although I would like to give a second mention to Usagi Yojimbo.

I notice a few people have listed actual gods. Me? I would hesitate to add anyone who is fully divine, like Thor or Rama. It's just not fair to the likes of mere mortals. Even semi-divine ones like Gilgamesh and Achilles can't really compete.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Karl Edward Wagner's Kane. He murdered his brother and led a rebellion against Wanger's version of Lovecraft's Elder Gods that created humanity, and was cursed to immortality (from aging, he can still die by violence) but also never able to become a ruler. Despite him trying literally 1000s of times over millennium. Eventually he gave up and become a record producer (in a cross over with Elric)

Voadam

Legend
As in the Greatest Wizards thread I am late to the party and all the people I'd list are already listed. Although I would like to give a second mention to Usagi Yojimbo.

I notice a few people have listed actual gods. Me? I would hesitate to add anyone who is fully divine, like Thor or Rama. It's just not fair to the likes of mere mortals. Even semi-divine ones like Gilgamesh and Achilles can't really compete.
Usagi is really great.

It may not be fair to the like of mere mortals but I do think of Thor as a primarily weapon-wielding fantasy warrior. From the comics and movies I have seen enough cool images of him fighting with weapons to solidify him iconically in that role and he fits easily in all three categories as a weapon wielder, a fantasy character, and a warrior.

Looking at who hasn't been mentioned, I'd put forward REH's Solomon Kane. Also, for tenacity, if not so much skill, it's hard to argue with the Black Knight.

Irlo

Hero
I nominate Tomoe Gozen, as depicted in Jessica Amanda Salmonson's fantasy fiction (although the historical person is worth reading about also).

Remove ads