• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Dragon

Mercule

Adventurer
Novem5er said:
The green dragon is now a poison based monster that breaths a cloud of poison gas. They wanted people to think of daggers and needles, of snakes and assassins. They designed the green to be a slithery, spiky thing that drips poison. And apparently, high level greens are going to have mind control features like they Cyan Bloodbane from Dragonlance, a green dragon that manipulated the minds of the elven people.

Also, the designers have stated that the 3e design for the green was too generic. It was the least identifiable of all the dragons, as it really had no unique feature on it's face.
I'm going to have to look at Worlds and Monsters, then. Your explanation just isn't doing it for me.

While I can appreciate wanting to de-generic the green, I think the new uniqueness is a step down. When I see that horn, I don't think of daggers, spikes, needles. And slithery is about the furthest thing from mind. If anything, I think of a stupid, clumsy rhino with wings and a paint job.

I understand what they were trying to do, and it sounds cool on paper. In practice, though, the horn cuts 180 from what they wanted. It adds a look of physical, thoughtless brute to the dragon. Worse, it's a comic oaf.

AZRogue

First Post
I thought everyone knew. The horn IS a straw. The green dragon can suck down a meal in the time the average gamer could suck down a can of Rockstar.

The horns along the side of his head are to help prepare his meal. He twists his head around at high speed, like a blender. Then sucks it all up through his hollow horn. Basic dragon ecology. I am teh simulationist!!1

Edit: The green dragon mini in the starter set is one of my favorites. His grin is awesome, and that's in all seriousness.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
AZRogue said:
I thought everyone knew. The horn IS a straw. The green dragon can suck down a meal in the time the average gamer could suck down a can of Rockstar.

The horns along the side of his head are to help prepare his meal. He twists his head around at high speed, like a blender. Then sucks it all up through his hollow horn. Basic dragon ecology. I am teh simulationist!!1
So, the green dragon is like a tick with a blender collar? Interesting. I'm guessing they now use flumphs as minions.

Klaus

First Post
I don't like the new green. WAR's painting, sans horn, isn't that much different from Lockwood's green dragon, which is a solid design. Here's my take from the cover of the last War of the Burning Sky cover:

[sblock]
russ_cover02.jpg
[/sblock]

If the 4e green had to scream "poison!!!", then there would be far more effective ways to portray it, like so:

[sblock]
449478f84f3d8e58.jpg
[/sblock]

Wolfspider

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Oh, yeah, and then there is that "theory"...

No respectable wizard would use that story. Bards might spread this tale, but you know how it is with bardic "lore" - exaggerated, imprecise and only aimed to entertain the masses... Just because they don't make up their stories from thin air doesn't mean they should be trusted.

Bards?

What are those? :confused:

How does an elephant eat? It's got, like, two great big tusks on either side of its mouth. There is just no possible way for it to ever be able to eat anything, ever. What were the designers thinking?

Didn't we do the whole nose-spike thread thing several times over, several months ago?

Wolfspider

Explorer
Fifth Element said:
How does an elephant eat? It's got, like, two great big tusks on either side of its mouth. There is just no possible way for it to ever be able to eat anything, ever. What were the designers thinking?

Didn't we do the whole nose-spike thread thing several times over, several months ago?

Yes, but this is certainly a...unique...complaint about the dragon's appearance.

A silly complaint in my opinion, but at least it gives me an opportunity to be silly as well. :D

Korgoth

First Post
Cam Banks said:
It does. It looks a million times better. Unless that horn has some role in combat, there's no reason for it to be there. Cyan Bloodbane had a horn on his snout, in the Clyde Caldwell artwork for the cover of DL10 Dragons of Dreams, but it didn't look like that.

Cheers,
Cam

Seconded. A million times better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads