Green Lantern Trailer

I really want this movie to be cool, but as of now, I just can't get behind the CG costume. It looks fake to me in every single scene in which it appears.

Now, this being a trailer, it's possible the effects are still unfinished. I'm hoping that's the case.

Klaus

First Post
I really want this movie to be cool, but as of now, I just can't get behind the CG costume. It looks fake to me in every single scene in which it appears.

Now, this being a trailer, it's possible the effects are still unfinished. I'm hoping that's the case.
I get that impression from Hal, but the other Lanterns look SO much better. Sinestro, specially.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Setting the quality of the graphics aside for a moment, that trailer left me thoroughly underwhelmed. It doesn't suggest that there's anything like good writing or story along with the effects.

Mallus

Legend
I liked the general tone but found most of the CGI off-putting, too. The costume didn't bother me as much as the ring-created objects; I wish they'd have gone for a more graphic presentation, with plain bright flat textures, like something out of Tron's computer world.

Felon

First Post
Re: Costume--The real version of the GL costume has white gloves for a reason. It breaks up the monotony of the overall green-against-black motif, and it actually makes the ring stand out against his hand. You'd think someone on a multi-million dollar movie would have come to grips with this. Also, hate the mask.

Re: Sinestro--They seem to have gotten him mixed up with The Leader.

Re: Overall Tone--It is a mandate for Hollywood movie scripts that every protagonist start out as one of the supporting characters from The Wizard of Oz. Tony Stark needed to find his heart, Peter Parker needed to find his courage, and apparently it has been decided that Hal Jordn wil be in dire need of a brain. The thing about DC characters is, they're from an age where the Oz paradigm didn't hold. Heroes were born heroes, not made, and their struggles were mostly external. So, we'll see a lot of bastardization like this when they jump to the big screen.

Last edited:

Sammael

Adventurer
The CGI is pretty horrible, but that may be fixed before release.

What cannot be fixed is the fact that Ryan Reynolds' Hal Jordan is obnoxious. Give me JL Animated John Stewart as Green Lantern over this version of Hal Jordan any day.

Klaus

First Post
The CGI is pretty horrible, but that may be fixed before release.

What cannot be fixed is the fact that Ryan Reynolds' Hal Jordan is obnoxious. Give me JL Animated John Stewart as Green Lantern over this version of Hal Jordan any day.
He was pretty obnoxious before he became GL in most versions of his origin.

Remove ads