[Green Ronin] Modern AGE?

atanakar

Hero
I have an on-and-off campaign going on. A 1910 pulp-mad-science-weird-aliens mash up. Mostly one-shots of 3-4 hours. It's easier that way because the next session can be several weeks later.

I'm enjoying the toolbox nature of the system. More so with the Companion book alternate options. Impatiently waiting the arrival of the Allies & Ennemies book.

Modern AGE offers three levels of play. You decide with the players at session zero. Gritty, Pulp or Heroic. Healing, HP gain, Talents and Foes vary with each level. We play with the Pulp mode on.

There are powers in the books. I decided that each character has a latent mutant ability that became active in the early 20s. Powers are activated spending Power Points.

It's not a class system like with Fantasy AGE. Creation process includes: concept, abilities, backgrounds, professions, drives, ressources & equipment, goals, ties & relationships. Optionally you can use Convictions Points for re-rolls and other boons.

Just like Fantasy AGE, the main feature of Modern AGE are Stunt Points. It’s a 3d6 system vs TN. You roll 2d6 of one colour, a 1d6 of another colour and add them up. If you roll a double on any of the three dice you generate Stunt Points that must be used immediately or be lost. The number of SPs is equal to the result of the die of a different colour. Stunts can be used during combat, social encounter or exploration. Foes and monsters also use Stunts. They each have Favorite Stunts listed in the stat block in case the GM rolls a double.

I'm glad to have discovered a less crunchy and more malleable replacement for d20 Modern.

Do you play Modern AGE? Are you using alternate rules from the Companion?

Last edited:

Longspeak

Adventurer
You know, I got Dragon Age and Blue Rose 2nd... and was less than impressed with the mechanics.

I've considered adapting Blue Rose to 5th ed... but the things you're describing... they might be just what I needed to fix Blue Rose's system.

atanakar

Hero
You know, I got Dragon Age and Blue Rose 2nd... and was less than impressed with the mechanics.

I've considered adapting Blue Rose to 5th ed... but the things you're describing... they might be just what I needed to fix Blue Rose's system.

I have Fantasy AGE and it is better with the F-AGE Companion but it is not as good as the Modern AGE toolbox.

Aldarc

Legend
I would probably prefer if Modern AGE became the basis for FAGE going forward, though with the Blue Rose Arcana mechanics.

Remove ads