• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greenbound Summoning

craftyrat

First Post
Greenbound Summoning feat from Lost Empires of Faerun. I was planning out a summoning druid for a new campaign when I came across this feat. It seems extremely powerful (quick summary: no prerequisites, turns your summoned nature's allies into plant creatures, gives +6 armor, DR 10/magic and slashing, FH3, +6 Str, and a fair bit more). Am I missing something? Is there some hidden prerequisite elsewhere?

craftyrat

Dakhran the Dark

First Post
Aside from the initial paragraphs in the Feats chapter, which pretty much say that the DM is final arbiter on whether the players have access to any of these lost feats, there are no prereqs. I'd ask your DM first, and it might be good to have a backstory reason why your character would have access to forgotten lore such as this.

For instance, my new druid in a FR campaign will be starting out with this feat. I have it in her backstory that she spent much of her childhood being raised by dryads, which are effectively immortal as long as their oak tree doesn't die. My DM approved, even after looking at the Greenbound template, which definitely adds some hefty power to those summons. His rationale is that with an average combat round, the creature will take one full round to summon, then joins combat at the second round, at which time most equal CR encounters will probably be halfway done, and will only last for a few rounds afterward, so it wouldn't affect any future encounters. Thus, it's only really going to affect encounters with EL higher than the party, such as boss fights...

thompgc

First Post
That feat is crazy. Much better then augment summoning, and doesn't force you to take spell focus conjuration (which is pretty worthless for summons)
Seemed that it should increase the spell slot needed.

I play a druid who does a lot of summoning and I didn't even bother to ask the DM about that feat as it is way overpowered. No way I'd allow it as is when I DM.

The template has a CR adjust of +2, and a level adjust of +8

Judging from the difference between SNA and SM spells, the fiendish or celestial template bumps a critter to the next level. And the CR/LA of those templates is less.

Rackhir

Explorer
thompgc said:
That feat is crazy. Much better then augment summoning, and doesn't force you to take spell focus conjuration (which is pretty worthless for summons)

While SF: Conjuration is of no real use for summoning, it is quite useful as a surprising number of spells are conjuration (mage armor, grease, glitterdust,acid arrow, web...). Conjuration just doesn't have the flashy spells like Evocation So it's hardly a wasted feat.

Staffan

Legend
Rackhir said:
While SF: Conjuration is of no real use for summoning, it is quite useful as a surprising number of spells are conjuration (mage armor, grease, glitterdust,acid arrow, web...). Conjuration just doesn't have the flashy spells like Evocation So it's hardly a wasted feat.
SF: Conjuration might be useful for a wizard, but have you looked at the druid spell list? I think the first non-cure conjuration spell that allows for a save (Cure X wounds has a Will save for half if you use it on undead) is Wall of Stone or something like that. I don't think there are even ten conjuration spells that allow saves on the PHB druid spell list (definitely not if you don't count the cures).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads