• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greenflame Blade Cantrip from SCAG, Courtesy of EXTRA LIFE

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page. The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this: 1st level 1st target: normal attack effects 2nd target: ability mod fire dmg 5th level 1st target: normal attack effects...

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page.

The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this:

1st level
1st target: normal attack effects
2nd target: ability mod fire dmg

5th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 1d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 1d8+mod fire dmg

11th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 2d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 2d8+mod fire dmg

17th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 3d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 3d8+mod fire dmg

Is that right?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
The main counter to your Favored Soul example is that FS are playtest materials.

Not taking unearthed arcana material into account when you publish new stuff is the right thing to do.

Well, from what I can tell, Favored souls seem to be popular and widely available. I know of at least three DMs who allow them. And you know it was more of a "wow this is so cool, sorcerers are finally getting cool toys to play with" than "broken stuff, overpowered they ruined the game forever ..."

spectacle

First Post
Ok, I've kinda lost track here. Why are we worried that the spell is overpowered?
It's not overpowered. It is however a straight damage upgrade for a few character types. Nothing to worry about immediately, but it does mark the beginning of power creep in 5E.

Exen Trik

First Post
Ok, I've kinda lost track here. Why are we worried that the spell is overpowered?
It's a bit different so we went through the motions of worry and supposition. In the end the only edge cases of concern are stacking it with smites and sneak attack, and neither is much of a problem.

CapnZapp

Legend
No it doesn't.

It marks the beginning of the levelling of the playing field where some builds are allowed to catch up.

This adds to the game's overall quality, which is pretty much the opposite of what calls for power-creep usually is intended to mean.

Jaappleton

First Post
Really hoping for Clerics, to beef them up for Melee a bit. Warlocks seem likely to help Bladelocks out, help give them incentive to forgo Eldritch Blast.

spectacle

First Post
So, still no indication of what classes can get access to this?
The table of contents we've seen says "new cantrips for wizards, sorcerers and warlocks" so 1-3 of those classes. Almost certainly wizard since it seems designed for a swordmage type character.

If your class doesn't get it it should be a good cantrip to pick up with the magic initiate feat, since the spellcasting stat only affects the bonus damage to the secondary target. Most of the damage is in the dice, and you use your melee attack stat to hit.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads