• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greenflame Blade Cantrip from SCAG, Courtesy of EXTRA LIFE

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page. The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this: 1st level 1st target: normal attack effects 2nd target: ability mod fire dmg 5th level 1st target: normal attack effects...

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page.

The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this:

1st level
1st target: normal attack effects
2nd target: ability mod fire dmg

5th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 1d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 1d8+mod fire dmg

11th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 2d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 2d8+mod fire dmg

17th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 3d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 3d8+mod fire dmg

Is that right?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Yeah, this is broken. SA + extra d8s on top? No thanks.

Sigh.

It does 3d8+ability modifier damage. That's around +16 points. The same as 4d6 sneak attack damage. Now a fighter with three attacks can get the equivalent of 4d6 sneak attack damage. Why would a rogue benefit more?

CapnZapp

Legend
It does 3d8+ability modifier damage. That's around +16 points. The same as 4d6 sneak attack damage. Now a fighter with three attacks can get the equivalent of 4d6 sneak attack damage. Why would a rogue benefit more?
I believe he is thinking it is overpowered to have an effect that adds to top-tier sneak damage, effectively making this cantrip mandatory if you build your character towards the singular goal "maximum sneak damage".

CapnZapp

Legend
A rogue benefits relatively more, as does any single-attack character.

If you have three or four attacks (or even five), chances are "extra attack" is better than casting this cantrip.

If you have seventh or ninth level spells to cast, chances are "cast spell" is better than casting this cantrip.

You can't just think "fighters benefit equally" - this forgets the higher opportunity cost for a character with either "many attacks" or "powerful spells" as alternative actions to take. This cantrip seems likely to benefit Rogues the most, and perhaps things like melee Rangers or Valor Bards or War Clerics thereafter...

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
My war cleric would enjoy this. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up from sorcerer or warlock with magic initiate since he's not the brightest ale in the tavern. :)

CapnZapp

Legend
perhaps im being dense but how is this so awesome for rogues sneak attack as it only applies once per turn?
Not sure what you aren't seeing, but this cantrip provides damage THAT STACKS WITH sneak damage, that is, it is damage that comes on top of sneak damage.

The cantrip can only be cast once a turn. Sneak damage is only once a turn. Neither of these things diminish the rogue's enjoyment of this cantrip, so...?

Azurewraith

Explorer
Ok i was over thinking things and it is just that simple I wonder if it will be better than dipping 5for fighter extra attack and picking up archery and Sharpshooter.

So this might me the cantrip designed for the bladesinger.

That it is s single attack would sugest the bladesinger could sugest the bladesinger will be a wizard subclass as they only get one attack, so with this cantrip they don't need to fit the extra attack feature into the bladesinger subclass

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads