• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greenflame Blade Cantrip from SCAG, Courtesy of EXTRA LIFE

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page. The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this: 1st level 1st target: normal attack effects 2nd target: ability mod fire dmg 5th level 1st target: normal attack effects...

Cool. How did you get the link? It's not showing up as live on either the Extra Life page or the D&D website page.

The wording of the cantrip feels a little awkward to me but I think I like the overall effect. If I'm reading it correctly, it essentially works like this:

1st level
1st target: normal attack effects
2nd target: ability mod fire dmg

5th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 1d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 1d8+mod fire dmg

11th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 2d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 2d8+mod fire dmg

17th level
1st target: normal attack effects + 3d8 fire dmg
2nd target: 3d8+mod fire dmg

Is that right?

Corpsetaker

First Post
I think it would have been better if an actual blade of green flame materialized in your hand and took on the physical form of any weapon you like.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think it would have been better if an actual blade of green flame materialized in your hand and took on the physical form of any weapon you like.
A decent idea, but remember Wizards have poor weapon proficiencies.

My guess is things would have become just a tad too complicated if the cantrip had to say "think of any weapon that you're proficient with"...

Prism

Explorer
Ok i was over thinking things and it is just that simple I wonder if it will be better than dipping 5for fighter extra attack and picking up archery and Sharpshooter.

Taking 5 levels of fighter probably reduces your damage rather then increases it. You lose at least 2d6 of sneak attack and gain an extra attack that can't be used with sneak attack since you can only do it once per turn.

This spell simply adds more damage to your existing attack. Its great for an arcane trickster, high elf rogues and any rogue that takes the magic adept feat. Also since the rogue is so mobile with disengage as a bonus action they have a good chance of being able to get adjacent to two opponents before striking (and then moving out of combat safely)

All this assumes it is in fact a wizard cantrip, which it may not be

A decent idea, but remember Wizards have poor weapon proficiencies.

My guess is things would have become just a tad too complicated if the cantrip had to say "think of any weapon that you're proficient with"...

I think This cantrip was designed with the bladesinger in mind, as a bladesinger would already have a weapon in hand.

Exen Trik

First Post
My first thought was this would be fun to cast with a reach weapon, but the spell says it only works out to 5 ft. So much for that green flaming whip idea...

CapnZapp

Legend
So this might me the cantrip designed for the bladesinger.

That it is s single attack would sugest the bladesinger could sugest the bladesinger will be a wizard subclass as they only get one attack, so with this cantrip they don't need to fit the extra attack feature into the bladesinger subclass
Yes, this is an excellent match for all single-attack classes (that still want to rough it up)

I'm not sure if a spell that forces the rogue to go into melee really qualifies as a best choice. Maybe for the cleric, but rogues in our game are opting to stay behind and do their sneak attack thing from a safe distance.

It probably helps that I, as a DM, have rarely spared squishy characters who dare join the melee ranks dealing a lot of damage without having the HPs to support it. As always, IMMV. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm not sure if a spell that forces the rogue to go into melee really qualifies as a best choice. Maybe for the cleric, but rogues in our game are opting to stay behind and do their sneak attack thing from a safe distance.

But this is the thing. The game lacked a real incentive to play a "melee rogue".

There were few or no real benefits to using daggers over bolts and arrows. Everything a melee rogue could do, a ranged rogue could do as well, but at a much safer distance.

Finally there is an attractive option that is only available to melee builds!

Remove ads

Remove ads