D&D 5E Grey beard culture question about critical role

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As a 52 year old gamer myself, and a Critical Role fan, I'd say you're fine. Just try to draw on your inner twelve-year old and bring that energy to your character. (Oh, and make sure your character has emotional baggage to work on.)

As a specific suggestion - the thing that CR does more than anything is have role-play interaction between two characters, instead of the PC and the DM. Think of something your character might want to know about another PC, and - in character, of course - ask them. This may be something they've been dying to play out in-game.
One of the best moments I've had as a player in the last few years was the whole process of dealing with the Althing, which is a gathering of all the leaders, merchants, and folk with something to bring to the assembly and speak about, in the northern region of the penninsular nation two of our PCs are from.

We wanted to influence the Althing, ahead of Thumi "Stormstalker" Geanavi, The Voice of The Mountain and a name in giantish that basically means the Arrow Sent To Fly Into The Heart of The Enemy, but gets transliterated as Lichbane, speaking before the Althing of the threat of the fiend-worshipping necromancer cult trying to break the seals that keep demons from pouring into the world, and basically calling for a War Council. (this is what happens when you take Folk Hero, and make a very imposing but socially awkward ranger/druid goliath)

So, hearts and minds, right? Start with food, follow through with providing a place to take a hot bath. So we started by my PC using the Galder's Tower spell to make a bath and breakfast in the center of the camping area of the Althing, and gladhanding in the days leading up to Thumi speaking. Thumi has the Chef feat, so she is running the kitchen, Dresden (my PC) and an army of Unseen Servants is running service, and the other two PCs are running around doing all sorts of stuff, sometimes taking over service so Dresden can run around doing other stuff (like haggling for new gear, commissioning magic items, meeting with important people whose voice will help get more votes in the Althing, etc). The whole thing, from flying our airship back to Kiltaith (the aforementioned penninsular nation) and visiting old friends and family to get as many friendly faces and voices at the Althing as possible weeks before, to setting up and getting a feel for the crowd, to gladhanding, to planning and discussing what Thumi needs to communicate, and all the adventure and conflict and tense moments peppered throughout about a dozen game sessions, was very nearly the most fun I've ever had as a player, and I'd say about 1/3 of it heavily or primarily involved interactions between player characters.

And just a note on PCs, and story focused roleplaying, since some folks seem to think the "vast majority" of such play is terrible nonsense full of "mary sues" with no flaws who are never in danger...
edit: nvm. It's not worth writing out a whole long thing about our campaigns and how we roleplay and focus on story without any of the behaviors that are supposedly rampant to the point of near-ubiquity. Suffice to say, I disagree with that poster.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Absolutely. It’s more collaborative storytelling than game. They engage the rules “when necessary” but otherwise keep chugging along.
I don’t understand this, is that not how most tables run? The rules cannot be engaged most of the time? Or are other groups rolling dice for every declared action?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I don’t understand this, is that not how most tables run? The rules cannot be engaged most of the time? Or are other groups rolling dice for every declared action?
Actually! I have seen the claim Matt rolls too many dice and should sometimes let the characters through with out a roll.
:D

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Actually! I have seen the claim Matt rolls too many dice and should sometimes let the characters through with out a roll.
:D
I agree when a werewolf is just trying to break through a door to escape. Making Travis roll for that was terrible! :)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Skilled play is when the players solve the problems via thinking and interacting with the environment rather than engaging the mechanics. The opposite of how CR plays.
This surprises me as I feel it is the complete opposite. The CR players really interact with the environment from what I’ve seen and are constantly coming up with creative solutions. It would be pretty dull otherwise.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases