Greyhawk characters in Epic Level Handbook?

psionotic

According to info already published on the net, there will be several epic level characters from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting restatted in the Epic Level Handbook. Any chance we can get Mordenkainen and company in there as well?
As Greyhawk is now the 'default' setting for D&D, this would seem to make more sense than having a second published version of Big El that us 'Hawk fans will never use anyway. Whaddaya say, Anthony and Andy? Pleazzze? :)

Terraism

Explorer
Theoretically, this makes sense. However, seeing as Greyhawk has recieved no 'official' support since the LGG, it's probably not likely... we can hope though!

LightPhoenix

First Post
I can't say I'm thrilled about any stats from any source being in there, but since examples are good...

Anyway. I doubt there will be Greyhawk stats in the book. Why? Forgotten Realms is the setting with all the uber-high level characters. Greyhawk doesn't have near as many, if any at all. Maybe Mordenkainen, but that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

LightPhoenix

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
I thought I read somewhere, and I'm really sorry I don't remember where, that Mordy's stats would be in the Epic Level Book. I don't know if that was just a rumor or not.

I hope we'll have some GH personalities but I'm not holding my breath over it.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Besides a couple high-level liches, Mordenkainen is the only character in Greyhawk who even approaches being epic level...and I'd be tempted just to make him 20th level. Some of the quasi-deities and here-deities might be epic characters, if they're not considered gods, but the truth is simply that Greyhawk has never been about super-characters.

Wolfspider said:
Besides a couple high-level liches, Mordenkainen is the only character in Greyhawk who even approaches being epic level...and I'd be tempted just to make him 20th level. Some of the quasi-deities and here-deities might be epic characters, if they're not considered gods, but the truth is simply that Greyhawk has never been about super-characters.

Let me get this straight. Greyhawk is the setting that gave us Vecna, Kas, more artifacts than I can shake a stick at, more high-level adventures than I can think of, and it DOESN"T qualify as having some epic-level rules?

Excuse me while I snort....

(Sorry, I'm just sick and tired of hearing that "Greyhawk isn't about power," when it has a demigod ruling a sizable portion of the continent, fiends galore, armies of undead, et cetera. Forgotten Realms needs to be toned down, yes, but Greyhawk isn't above some toning down, itself....)

Wolfspider

Explorer
Iuz is a demigod, not a character. Vecna is a god--again, not a character. I can't honestly say what happened to Kas, but suffice to say he's not around. Most of the truly powerful characters in Greyhawk retired long ago and disappeared.

Sure, there are powerful characters in Greyhawk...the Queen of Celene, the Mage of the Valley, Mordenkainen, Eclavadra, others. But all of these characters can easily be represented with the core rules. How many ultra-powerful archmages and liches does the Forgoteen Realms have? How many gods and godlings have walked its lands? Countless.

I'm not bashing the Forgotten Realms. I'm just pointing out something that should be obvious. The Forgotten Realms is a powerful world with lots of powerful movers and shakers. The World of Greyhawk is much less so. The Forgotten Realms is such a powerful place that the core rulebooks couldn't even represent the power-levels of some of its inhabitants, so they had to jury-rig some epic level rules for the setting book.

Cyronax

Explorer

From what I remember reading over the years, the following characters jump out in my memory as having the possibitlity of being represented in the Epic Level Handbook.

Iuz's avatar (these two could pop up in Deities and Demigods though......)
Mordenkainen
Rary (i konw he was higher than Mordie in the 2nd edition lore)
Murylund
Robilar
Mage of the Valley
Philidor (he was 25th level in 2nd edition)
probably some of Iuz's Boneheart
Kas (maybe? I know his current situation is unknown, but his name appears in both the PHB and the DMG)
Iggwilv
maybe the Velunese cleric responsible for using the Crook of Rao to cause the Flight of Fiends (?)

My LGG and most of my GH stuff are not on hand right now, but those are the names that'd i'd conservatively say i think could be there.

I know he's not GH, but I'd love to see the stat's for Monte's bastard-wizard Malhavoc.

C.I.D.

Remove ads