Greyhawk characters in Epic Level Handbook?

Wolfspider

Explorer
Ahhh, Iggwilv!!! Now there's a possiblity.

But, again, most of these characters you mention are gods or manifestation of gods. Rary might come close to Mordenkainen's level of power, but, as I said before, Mordie is only bordernline epic.

I would love to see some of these characters described in detail. Let's hope at least some of them are in the new Epic book.

I must admit that I'm more interested in how I'll be able to adapt material from the epic book for use in my Middle Earth game. First Age gaming beckons to me....

Eosin the Red

First Post
Demi (or better) Gods
Murylund
Iggwilv

Don’t know what he is (yes, I know who he is, not what he is)
Philidor

Probably Qualify
Mordenkainen
Rary
Tenser
Mage of the Valley
Kas
Hazen
Maybe a few VHL fighters/paladins/assassins (Turen, Tiger Nomad chief, The Shieldlands paladin chief)

Probably do not qualify
Robilar
The Boneheart

IMO

The interesting thing is none of these guys (outside of the demi-god class) are close to beating down 30th level. The Mage of the Vale or Rary are probably the most powerful. I wouldn't give either one of the more than 26 levels.

Attachments

• RevisedSubclassesUA.JPG
    RevisedSubclassesUA.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 647

Wippit Guud

First Post
I used to have the Valley of the Mage module... wasn't the Mage in the mid-40's for level?

It's too bad they can't include Dragonlance characters... be sweet to see Dalamar's stats.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Re: .....

Cyronax said:

maybe the Velunese cleric responsible for using the Crook of Rao to cause the Flight of Fiends (?)

Hazen is his name. According to the LGG he is a Clr20+ of Rao. So if he is above Level 20 I believe that would qualify him for Epic Levels.

Rary would also since in 2e he was Level 20+ (I think they said 23 level).

Jaran Krimeeah (Mage of the Valley) according to LGG is Wiz20+

Sevvord I is Ftr 20+.

Father of Obedience (Scarlet Brotherhood), originally Mnk13 in 1e, I think Mnk17 in 2e, in LGG statistics unknown so I'd say Mnk20+ IMO

There are several rulers that have 20 levels of classes but the above are the ones with more then 20 and I think would qualify for Epic Levels so GH seems to have a few Epic Level people and those are just the rulers in the LGG. IMO Tenser and Bigby would have a couple of levels over 20 making them Epic Levels. I agree with Iggwilv. Robilar maybe, I don't remember what his levels were in 'Rary the Traitor'. I guess we'll see exactly what Epic Levels are when the book comes out.

A'koss

Explorer
Igwillv is still at least partially mortal and her spell effects quoted as being "in excess of 25th level". In the module Return of the Eight, she plays a dues ex machina role where she can simply point her finger at 12th level characters and instantly knock them unconscious with 1 HP - No Save and any magical attack *automatically* fails against her and has that spell wiped from the caster's mind - Permenantly. Even after that brief encounter, each character automatically fails their next 3 Saving Throws. She is probably the most powerful spellcaster in all of Greyhawk.

Mordenkainen is rated at 20+ level in the Greyhawk Journal as is Rary. Hazen, as I've been told on high, is probably the most powerful Cleric in Greyhawk. Definitely over 20th level. Also, Kas is only 19th level the last time we saw him and Robilar is definitely under 20th level.

Philidor is a powerful construct created by Pelor, and not a true living being. It was a way to circumvent the "non-interference" rules the gods have with Oerth. Personally, I'm not big on this because what would prevent the other gods from doing the exact same thing. Anyway, Philidor has been written out of Greyhawk and you'll never see him again.

Cheers,

A'koss!

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Where is this from?

A'koss said:
Philidor is a powerful construct created by Pelor, and not a true living being.

I'm curious where you heard this, it's the first I've heard of it. I'm just wondering where I missed it. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Mage of the Vale is around 25th (IIRC).

I don't think any mage has been introduced into GH that broke that limit - but I never saw any hint to Zygig.

A'koss

Explorer
Regarding Philidor, one of the WotC's guys, I forget if it was Sean, Keith or Ryan who spoke up about it when a bunch of us were speculating on his origins. It was a couple of years ago anyway and we were told because Philidor was being written out of GH. He called Philidor a "Super Golem" and his unique powers and high up connections we're because of this.

I remember getting pretty fumed at this at the time as it takes away from the PCs in the game. Why do you need heroes if you can just create them? Why isn't every god cranking out super golems? Anyhow...

Cheers,

A'koss!

Cyronax

Explorer
Philidor

Not one to question the bit about Philidor being a celestial construct, but what are the details on this? Storywise that is? I seem to remember him being given his most detailed treatment in the Marklands supplement.....but then again I've forgotten what that had said.

I seem to remember him being a 25th level wizard.....elf with blue skin if I remember correctly. So is he basically an avatar of Pelor? Interesting. So where did Evil balance out that one? Cuthbert and Iuz seem to manifest in sort of a tit for tat fashion (old ToEE as an example?), but what of Pelor (and other gods for that matter)?

Also I wouldn't think they'd deserve Epic level treatment, but isn't Bigby (I think he's been mentioned beforethough), Tenser, and Warnes Starcoat on the cusp of 20th level?

C.I.D.

Last edited:

Ron

Explorer
I guess that some Greyhawk's characters may be referred in the Epic level book, as much as some Greyhawk' dieties were mentioned in the Manual of Planes. As fas as I remember, only three characters were cited in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer as possessing more than 20 levels: Rary, Mordenkainen, and the Mage of the Valley. However, only Rary and Mordy are cited in the core books, at least when referring their spells. As the only GH's deities to appear in the Manual of the Planes were those referred in the core books, I suppose that only Rary and Mordenkainen really have a chance of appearing in the Epic book. At least that would be better than the 2nd edition High Level Adventures book, where Bigsby (Wiz 19) and Tenser (Wiz 20) were cited as authors of some of those 10th level spells (whatever they called it).

Frankly, that's not bad. I like the idea of Greyhawk having major players with more influence than character's levels.

Remove ads