• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
The same reason Geoff Johns brought back all the pre-Crisis stuff he grew up with when he was running the show at DC. It's what the folks in charge grew up liking and, to them, it's what's classic and great.

The 7th Edition DMG has a good chance of including Eberron in it, once Millennials and Gen Z folks are fully in charge over at WotC.

I do think WotC's weird indifference to creating a setting laser-focused on their young audience is a mistake, although third party productions like Obojima are definitely benefitting from it. Hopefully one of their new settings coming in the next few years is more in keeping with Avatar and Studio Ghibli, etc.
Radiant Citadel is this.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
No, it was appealing to those groups for exactly the same reasons as everyone else. It's the story of an abused orphan who enters a magical world full of familiar things and paternal/maternal figures where they discover they're the chosen one. It's as derivative as it gets.
I don’t disagree with this assessment, thought it is missing the particular appeal to queer and neuro-divergent kids in the fact that the main character is abused because he is seen as abnormal, and the magical world is kept hidden from him because it’s similarly abnormal, and inhabited by people don’t understand or fit in with the conventions of the normal world. Still extremely derivative, I make no claims to the contrary.

Remathilis

Legend
Maybe they will at least finally address that it is okay to limit options for the purpose of setting coherence. "Dwarves in Greyhawk can't use arcane magic, so they may not be Wizards."

Lol. No. That is NEVER going to happen.
Nor should it. Greyhawk confirmed dwarves that could cast magic 24 years ago.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I don’t disagree with this assessment, thought it is missing the particular appeal to queer and neuro-divergent kids in the fact that the main character is abused because he is seen as abnormal, and the magical world is kept hidden from him because it’s similarly abnormal, and inhabited by people don’t understand or fit in with the conventions of the normal world. Still extremely derivative, I make no claims to the contrary.
Right now, Rowling is annoying big time. But.

I am a fan of a world of wizards. I never read her books, but I love the movies, and the actors who played the characters.

Since the dawn of human civilization, literally in the case of Gilgamesh, the "hero" of the "story" is always a warrior or by extension a jock. She somehow made a breakthru when making the geek the hero.

King David had the geek prophet Shmuel as a sidekick. King Arthur had the geek shamanic Merlin as the sidekick.

But with Harry Potter, the geek is now the center of the story.

There is profound shift in the operational paradigms. It is occurring in many cultures around the planet.

Rowling didnt create this shift, just like Beetles didnt create popculture. But they are emblematic of change that happened.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
That is a gross oversimplification. I mean, The Wizard of Earthsea?
Who?

I kid. But I am committed to the scifi genre. (Including fantasy.)

With Harry Potter, kids were lining up in cues around the planet.

Totally different scale of magnitude.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
And among a good number of Gen Z and Gen Alpha, Harry Potter is verboten due to JK Rowling's anti-inclusionary stance.
Sadly.

Even the actors have a difficult time with her, and take pains to disassociate themselves from her hatespeech.

Can we take the Harry Potter stuff to another thread that isn't about Greyhawk?
(PS Harry's a jock. The sport may be geeky, but his participation in it is a core element of his time at Hogwarts.)
Fair enough.

Remove ads