D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
I like the renaming of the Tiger Nomads, Wolf Nomads and the Scarlet Brotherhood but why not the Northern Frusztii, Cruski, etc?
The Tiger and Wolf nomad endonyms were already in the OG text, as was the Hubting Lands for what the "Rovers of the Barrens" call their homeland. So keeping those original in-text names that aren't exonyms like "Snow Barbarians" make sense.

TiQuinn

The Tiger and Wolf nomad endonyms were already in the OG text, as was the Hubting Lands for what the "Rovers of the Barrens" call their homeland. So keeping those original in-text names that aren't exonyms like "Snow Barbarians" make sense.
I thought they were trying to move away from naming lands based on who lived there, I.e. The Scarlet Brotherhood in favor of less specific names. Just a curiosity. I like the changes and the map.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
I thought they were trying to move away from naming lands based on who lived there, I.e. The Scarlet Brotherhood in favor of less specific names. Just a curiosity. I like the changes and the map.
Nope, most of those names were in the OG text deep-in, though Shar is apparently 2E and is what the Scarlet Brotherhood calls their kingdom (meaning "Purity"):

Screenshot_20240619_115805_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20240619_115843_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20240619_115926_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20240619_120025_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20240619_120131_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20240619_120209_Samsung Notes.jpg

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
In this case, I could imagine there was a pass by cultural consultants who advised not using terms with a history of being applied to “heathen outsiders/invaders”. Nomad, Rover, Barbarian, Paynim. Maybe even with Rovers of the Barren, dropping the word “Barren” as an association of being uninhabitable as viewed by outsiders, when it clearly has established thriving horse-riding cultures who wouldn’t name their own territory barren.

Medegia loses “See of…” maybe due to very specific usage by a real world faith.

Remove ads