• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
For those who own and/or have read it, what is the extent of Greyhawk information in Ghosts of Saltmarsh?
There is a 29 page regional Gazateer for the few hexes around Saltmarsh (the regional map by our own @Dyson Logos includes the hexes from Darlene's original map for comparative reference), that includes details about the town and the political machinations between the Kingdom of Keoland, the Holds of the Sea Princes, and the Scarlet Brotherhood and how those factions impact the local area. Lots of plot hooks, a very good regional micro-Setting clearly set around 576 (the original Daye for the 1980 and 1983 products).

KYRON45

Explorer
That was one small personal experience I decide to share, not cool to lock onto it and ignore the rest of what we've been saying.

About GH, not every setting, needs every thing. And especially not carbon copies... that sounds super boring. I'd much prefer settings were things are actually different. I don't want all the races in Greyhawk because they don't fit the world, just like I don't want FR in my DS, or whatever. That's what makes the different setting interesting, they are different.
For what it's worth, I appreciated your Star Wars anecdote. 👍

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Sure, but you probably also have a good idea of what your audience (players) will tolerate and appreciate. WotC has to deal with a lot more uncertainty in that regard, and as we have seen time and again, them getting it wrong even in one instance out of 100 is still an issue. And, frankly, the real problem with "historial" settings is that by and large, they aren't. They are based on outmoded, ignorant, just plain wrong pulp fantasy interpretations of history. And even when they aren't, they are based on history written by people with biases and agendas stretching back centuries.

That is to say, for WotC in particular but most publishers, trying to incorporate history into their fantasy worlds in just too little risk for too little reward.
I can't believe the made up fantasy world with magic and elves (and even aliens!) got it's real world history wrong.

RedSquirrel

Explorer
Because I've read the books??? I didn't grow up with it is what I meant, not that I know nothing about it. I've read the adventures, I've read let's plays, and I've talked to plenty of Greyhawk GMs on other parts of the internet.
Ah. Oh,, okay! Gotcha!
👍
I would offer that you do have a history with it, then. Perhaps not extensive history, but you're right in there with us! 😊

Although, ... don't listen to people on the internet. LOL 🤣 (including me!) 🤣

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Eberron is inclusive of everything D&D has to offer at the time of publishing, but it was never the CoreRules setting.
Neither is Greyhawk going to be.it is just going be an example.

My point is that in the WotC era, the setting specifically designed to incorporate anything and everything in D&D is Eberron.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah, perhaps that differences in groups. My groups tend older, and also contain a lot of DMs. Most of the people I play with are in their 40s and 50s and are well acquainted with the various settings over the years. Though "well acquainted" may be understating the case for settings like Faerun where some of them have been playing and running in it since the 80s and have read over a score of novels. Eberron and Dark Sun also has people I play with who've gotten into the novel series as well as run the settings. Other setting also have their fans.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to use a Setting with players who had read any novels or.other media set there.

Remove ads