• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

RedSquirrel

Explorer
So, interestingly, in a fairly new Revised 2024 Player's Handbook video from WotC, Chris Perkins and Jeremy Crawford refer to art of "original casters" being depicted casting their spells.
• "Tasha casting her spell"
• "Melf shooting the acid arrow" ... "casting his own iconic spell"
• "Bigby is there"
• "Mordenkainen, Jallarzi, Yolande, and others"
I think this has a lot to do with why Greyhawk was chosen as the example world.
In addition to nostalgia and the whole 50th anniversary thing ... I also think it comes from names of fifth edition books with NPC names ... and there's a lot of people who want to know who those NPCs are.

So, IMO WotC is kinda putting in Easter eggs or a love-note to fans (whichever way your glass is half-filled).

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
So back to the question of what the campaign setting design is going to look like and how they are going to use Greyhawk to show it:

Do you think they will be using the design philosophy of starting ina limited region and expanding out, which means we will only be getting a small portion of GH (like the Saltmarsh region, as an example) or do you think they will be advocating top down design and we will be getting Oerth?

RedSquirrel

Explorer
So back to the question of what the campaign setting design is going to look like and how they are going to use Greyhawk to show it:

Do you think they will be using the design philosophy of starting ina limited region and expanding out, which means we will only be getting a small portion of GH (like the Saltmarsh region, as an example) or do you think they will be advocating top down design and we will be getting Oerth?
Well, the review of the core books from Game Informer says there's a map "of the Greyhawk setting" and the other side is "the city" of Greyhawk.
So, I would assume the larger map will be the setting, and I would think the world building chapter may reflect that. (?)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Well, the review of the core books from Game Informer says there's a map "of the Greyhawk setting" and the other side is "the city" of Greyhawk.
So, I would assume the larger map will be the setting, and I would think the world building chapter may reflect that. (?)
I am curious what "setting" means here. Remember that it is apparently tied to the "how to" information.

I think both. Top-down with the main setting overview, bottom-up with the Greyhawk City overview. That way, they cover their world-building bases.

Would anyone advocate top down design?!

I really hope they limit themselves to light background scaffolding for each region, provide lots of adventure hooks, maybe one or detailed bits or adventures or personalities, then give the GM tools to roll their own.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
In the original World of Greyhawk setting by Gygax, there is a Baklunish sacred tradition that has widespread appeal across Flanaess. Xan Yae is a "powerful psionic" and Monk martial artist.

Also Boccob is a psionic.

Last edited:

Remove ads