• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Greyhawk Confirmed. Tell Me Why.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So what we are saying is that there are going to be some very, very unhappy greynards?
I dunno, I'm basically imagining it will look like the Greyhawk in the background of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and there was approximately no kvetching about that.

Greyhawk fans are not really Lore-istas like FR fans, it's a very DIY make it your own Setting as originally conceived and presented. Generic High Fantasy Pointa of Light, with some flavor and a map to riff off of.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
One of these things is not like the others. I’m from the generation that was raised on Avatar and Harry Potter. I graduated college the year Steven Universe came out.
I thought that that couldn't possibly be true, but A:TLA really is older than I thought it was, huh. In fairness, I discovered it a bit late. The two are definitely touchstones for the very specific audience being targeted here, though. It might explain why Korra so much more popular among that particular group.

Also, we can toss Harry Potter directly in the trash.
I thought it was called Groghawk?
That is definitely my preferred nomenclature.

Gradine

I dunno, I'm basically imagining it will look like the Greyhawk in the background of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and there was approximately no kvetching about that.

Greyhawk fans are not really Lore-istas like FR fans, it's a very DIY make it your own Setting as originally conceived and presented. Generic High Fantasy Pointa of Light, with some flavor and a map to riff off of.
Which makes it actually a pretty perfect setting to introduce to DMs the idea of creating their own campaign worlds.

Gradine

No no no. The SETTING is Groghawk. The fans are Geynards.
That's an unfortunate typo :p
Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

If I had to wager, I'd guess that they're going to lean heavily into the "Points of Light" aspect of Greyhawk. It's definitely not going to resemble anything close to the "Not in MY Greyhawk" version of the setting. There will be some of the iconic locations and heroes and villains, and whole lot of "here be monsters (and tieflings, I guess)".
The objections to tieflings always seemed a bit disingenuous to me given the existence of the Empire of Iuz and the Great Kingdom, and all the fiend - human crossbreeding that was explicitly mentioned as happening in those areas.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The objections to tieflings always seemed a bit disingenuous to me given the existence of the Empire of Iuz and the Great Kingdom, and all the fiend - human crossbreeding that was explicitly mentioned as happening in those areas.
I would consider the issue of tieflings (and that particular justification) as less about tieflings existing in Greyhawk as much as being accepted seamlessly within polite society - the Great Kingdom and Iuz NOT being polite society. There'd be room for a lot of understandable mistrust from the locals outside of those particular regions.

Remove ads