D&D 5E Greyhawk: Player Options for a Campaign Setting

Hussar

Legend
Well, that is one of the bigger hurdles of Greyhawk - you mention Kara Tur was originally supposed to be on Oerth, for example.

Thing is, SO MUCH of what was original in GH has been exported to other settings - a lot of the monsters have become either "generic D&D" or plunked down in this or that setting (typically Forgotten Realms). A lot of the demon/planar stuff got ported over to the Planescape setting with various demon lords, gods and whatnot becoming again, either "Generic D&D" or stuffed into specific settings.

It does make any update to Greyhawk somewhat of a challenge since so much of the meat of has been picked off by scavengers over the years.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I just finished the book, Slaying the Dragon, by Ben Riggs.

The biggest takeaway for me was clarity about how multiple game settings was a major killer for TSR.

When Wizards bought TSR, they realized they needed to create fans of dnd products, rather than followers of a setting because people wouldn't but "other setting products." This was certainly the case between F.Realms and Greyhawk.

Generic books with mentions in the back by setting are the norm now.

Hussar

Legend
I just finished the book, Slaying the Dragon, by Ben Riggs.

The biggest takeaway for me was clarity about how multiple game settings was a major killer for TSR.

When Wizards bought TSR, they realized they needed to create fans of dnd products, rather than followers of a setting because people wouldn't but "other setting products." This was certainly the case between F.Realms and Greyhawk.

Generic books with mentions in the back by setting are the norm now.
Well, yeah, I think that's something of a given. Even if they do do a Best of Greyhawk style book, they're still going to have to make sure that it's like Ghosts of Saltmarsh - something that any group can use.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
No bonus points if Mordenkainen shows up on the very last page of the adventure to tell the PCs "Thank you for saving me that time and effort."
Mord is Lawful Neutral, not good. He is more likely to say "You have toppled a legitimate ruler and thus I and the Circle of Eight -the two that still return my calls- will hunt you down as a treat to order in the Flanaes."

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Mord is Lawful Neutral, not good. He is more likely to say "You have toppled a legitimate ruler and thus I and the Circle of Eight -the two that still return my calls- will hunt you down as a treat to order in the Flanaes."
Mord as a Neutral, and self-described "placed my thumbs on both sides of the scales" would want to mess with Iuz's plans to extend his own influence / directly weaken Good powers. To keep Iuz from tipping The Balance in his own favor. (And keep Iuz too busy plotting revenge against the PCs to have any time / attention / resources to come after Mordenkainen.)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Mord as a Neutral, and self-described "placed my thumbs on both sides of the scales" would want to mess with Iuz's plans to extend his own influence / directly weaken Good powers. To keep Iuz from tipping The Balance in his own favor. (And keep Iuz too busy plotting revenge against the PCs to have any time / attention / resources to come after Mordenkainen.)
But at the same time wouldn't allow anybody to end Iuz for good.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Honestly...

As much as Greyhawk means, or meant, to D&D... at this point, Ernie's actions and TSR's situation make a Greyhawk update for 5e focused on what Gary Gygax made fraught with problems.

His eldest son's actions and inaction in relation to his business partner, who is currently going to court with WotC, really make it unlikely, I fear.

Outside of specific adventures, like Expedition, I wouldn't expect to see Greyhawk Support for a while.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases