D&D General Greyhawk setting material

Zardnaar

Legend
Im 41 running for people in mid 20s.

Sometimes talk to the younger people in other groups. Occasionally pull out something interesting. So far they seem to like.

Tome of Beasts
1983 GH boxed set
Midgard world book
Old phb
OD&D boxed set (gets called alpha)

grodog

Hero
Well, my table is guys and girls approx. 15 years younger than me.

I'm in the process of starting up a local Greyhawk campaign and am running AD&D 1e for the rules set, and had 14 players respond to the survey saying they were interested, and four of them had zero experience with Greyhawk, and 2 zero experience with D&D in general.

So, the interest is definitely out there, in both the setting and the earlier editions for rules, too.

Allan.

Hussar

Legend
Just as a question.

Has anyone actually suggested that we blow up the setting in order to add a new race like Dragonborn? Has there been any even hint that anyone thinks that we have to massively rework the setting in order to add Dragonborn or that the best way to add anything new is to take the time to do it with the least disruption possible?

So, maybe we can dial back with the whole "adding this will destroy the setting" rhetoric? No one disagrees. Everyone agrees that anything added should be done with the least disruption possible. Right?

Hussar

Legend
Sorry, you're wrong. There is a section that I'll quote;

SALTMARSH OVERVIEW

Saltmarsh's roughly five thousand residents are predominantly human, with the dwarven mining contingent of about two hundred workers the largest non-human faction in town. Elves and halflings draw no special notice, since the Silverstand hosts a wood elf enclave and a few halfling villages are tucked in the hills around town. The residents react to other visitors, especially tieflings and dragonborn, with a mixture of curiosity and fear.

<drops mic>

"Mixture of curiosity and fear" is hardly treating them as totally alien and attacking them on sight.

But, hey, if that's how YOU want to interpret it, that's fine. Just realize that that's YOUR interpretation, and not really supported by the actual text.

If I was running a GH campaign, I would include tieflings as 'rare, used to be non-existent, appeared sometime after Iuz returned to his lands'....

Honestly, given the history of the Great Kingdom over the last century or so, I'd think a noticeable population would have appeared there decades ago. The Overkings didn't sit on something nicknamed "The Fiend-Seeking Throne" for nothing, after all...

Hussar

Legend
The point is well made though. If they are going to make changes to the setting, walking softly is definitely the easier way to go. It's much, MUCH easier to slip in small changes than big ones. Just look at the 5e Monster Manual and then compare it to the 3e Monster Manual to see how much you can change the game without ruffing feathers.

And, frankly, there are a million ways to slip in something as minor as a new PC race into the game. They did it quite well with Tieflings in GoS for example. That tiefling isn't a smuggler. She's there as the imperial representative of Iuz, waving the flag and all, legally buying food supplies to ship home. This is all above board and legal and everyone knows it.

You could easily add in another PC race in a similar fashion. The notion that Race X (whether it's Dragonborn or Lupins or whatever) have always been in the setting, but, marginalized and living in small, isolated communities on the fringes. They haven't been mentioned before because, well, they're just not that important in the larger picture. That's probably the simplest solution.

Oh, and just because everyone else is doing the mic drops, I'd point out that Dragonborn do appear in the artwork for Saltmarsh, so, they are canon in Greyhawk. And, yes, GoS is canonically Greyhawk despite the fact that there are sidebars for placing it in other settings. It is NOT a generic product. It is SPECIFICALLY placed in Greyhawk.

image-asset.jpeg

Remove ads