log in or register to remove this ad

 

GREYHAWK: The Golden Era CY963: A1-P1-S2 [RESTORED CAMPAIGN THREAD]

Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen - Let's Finish What We Started...

~ It's appropriate that the sheriff be there for his imposter's postmortem inquisition ~

Respen, to Sheriff Denby out of earshot of the captive spy, but within earshot of the others, "Sheriff, you might want to accompany us back to the Inn. We have some questions for the imposter that you might find enlightening as well. Vale has tempered his...enthusiasm...for fisticuffs with the Orc Paladin. He has spells to pose questions to Vaelik the Assassin's corpse. "

Respen holds back a little on the other matter he wanted to mention to Denby, as well as everyone else. This captive spy with the wealthy Dyvers family presents an opportunity. Perhaps Nightwind might care. Were this Beringer more...well...more, Respen might not be so hesitant. However, misguided as it might have been, Vale's threat toward him as well as Vale's not so tête-à-tête with Kasnik clearly exposed this fellow's flaws. Aimless, spineless, a tad lazy, this Beringer fellow is, at the end of the day, little more than a dandy...a buffoon. The upside to this is that he could be manipulated. The downside...well, he could be manipulated. "But wait a moment...."

~ What to do with the spineless spy indeed?...~


Respen turns back toward Beringer...walking quickly toward him, with purpose, stopping short of him.

"Beringer, I have a question...actually, several. The strength and velocity of your answers will go a long way to establishing goodwill here."

Without waiting for Beringer's consent, Respen turns and looks directly at Kasnik during his 1st interrogative, toward Dewydd his 2nd interrogative, and to Sylvar for his 3rd, and then to Sheriff Denby for his 4th, not stopping to let Beringer finish until the questions were all out there. Upon his last question to Beringer, Respen looks directly at him.

"Tell us about this Shem fellow, would you?
Tell us who he is...where he is...who else assists him, could you?
Where would you go, perhaps a cache of supplies, or a safehouse nearby?
Where might this trail go, were we to wander it?


Looking directly at him, stated loudly, "Mr. Beringer, careful before you answer. For my last question is a yes or a no: Are all of your answers completely truthful, without omission or embellishment?"

Upon Beringer answering his questions, regardless of what he says, Respen thinks for a moment, and then turns back toward the group.
"I think it's time to sort out the rest of the story."

"Sheriff Denby, I presume you want to accompany us?"
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
More Questions...

Beringer is visibly non-plussed by your further attempt at interrogation, but sighs, and keeps his complaints to himself.

Respen said:
"Tell us about this Shem fellow, would you?
Tell us who he is...where he is...who else assists him, could you?
Where would you go, perhaps a cache of supplies, or a safehouse nearby?
Where might this trail go, were we to wander it?


Looking directly at him, stated loudly, "Mr. Beringer, careful before you answer. For my last question is a yes or a no: Are all of your answers completely truthful, without omission or embellishment?"

"Shem is a handler, a middle-man. He gave me my orders, and paid me in platinum. He didn't talk, except to tell me things that were necessary. He was extremely professional. Where is he now? I have no clue. His other jobbers? He never mentioned them, if he even had any. I had no safe house, although I did bury a chest with some platinum in it underneath a fire pit, a little ways south of here. What trail? The campsite is due south. There is no trail. It's just a clear spot behind a hill. Yes, my answers are truthful, without omission, and without embellishment."

Respen said:
Upon Beringer answering his questions, regardless of what he says, Respen thinks for a moment, and then turns back toward the group.
"I think it's time to sort out the rest of the story."

"Sheriff Denby, I presume you want to accompany us?"

Sir Denby (To All, In Common): "To the Inn? Sure. Why not?" And with that, he motions for Edward and Harold to cuff Beringer, and take him back to the jail house.

[Everyone: What do you do?]
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Vale and Gus take a walk...

~ Platinum? Hmm. Interesting thought. ~

"Sylvar, would you give me a sock of Crestwall's, please? I'll have Gus smell him real good, at least the sock such that Kasnik doesn't get the wrong idea, and we'll wander over and appropriate his chest. If the Sheriff allows us to confiscate his magicals and the platinum, we can consider the escort compensated and then some. If it's excessive, then perhaps we allow him Crestwall's family heirlooms back to him in trust of this Lt. Benquist in Dyvers? Whatever the Sheriff feels appropriate. "

Vale attends to Gus...as he wandered away from the temple and was receiving attention from some children not far from the outer gate. Gus seems pleasant. When he sees the former green rider in manacles, he proceeds to sniff him with a curious look on his face. ~New people.~
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
I could give you his sock, except that I only relieved him of his magical items. His socks, along with the rest of his undergarments are not magical. However, were I to posses one of his socks I would gladly give it to you. Given the circumstances you'll have to ask Beringer for whatever articles of clothing you desire.
 
Last edited:

Aust Thale

Explorer
~ I could have sworn you got his socks. Perhaps I am simply feebleminded today. ~
"My apologies good elf. My mistake. I must be addled of late."

As Crestwall is being moved to the outside, Vale directs Gus to sniff him good.
"For the record, he will only sniff him to track his trail later if need be. Will help later. He will not touch him. (Toward Crestwall): Yeah, I was bluffing a little when I said he'd eat you. More likely he'd lick you to death as long as you are nice. Puppies may be bred to protect, but it takes a real SOB to teach them enmity. They don't come by it naturally. "
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Edward and Harold escort Beringer out the door, out of the courtyard, and into the street, heading back to the jail house, taking Beringer's items with them.

Sir Denby follows the party (Dewydd, Vale & Gus, Respen, Sylvar, and Kasnik) back to the Inn, where Vega, Maxwell, and Karth are all hanging out in the common room.

Karth and Maxwell virtually ignore the party, because they are both deeply involved in a conversation (with each other) about Dwarven history.

GM: Karth (a PC) is "parked" here until his owner decides to play him again. Maxwell (an NPC) is "parked" here until the party can arrange for his safe passage home. (Not a pressing matter.)


Vega, however, joins the party as they arrive.

GM: Time of arrival = 1:30 pm. Patchwall 11, CY 963.


Sir Denby, having been informed of what is going on, suggests that the bodies be taken to a quiet meadow outside of town, where they can be buried properly after the spells have been cast.

GM: In the interests of moving the story along, I am assuming that the party agrees with him.


The party returns to the stables, and leads the three horses that are bearing the wrapped bodies out of town, to the quiet meadow that Sir Denby spoke of. The party also brings along 4 shovels.

By the time the party arrives at the meadow, tethers the horses, arranges the bodies on the ground, and unwraps the heads of the corpses (so that they can speak) it is 2:15 pm.

GM: A scroll of Speak With Dead, which is cast at 5th level, will allow you to ask two questions of the subject corpse. These corpses, which are differently aligned from the caster, each get a Will Save DC 14 to resist the effect. Figure out what questions you want to ask of each corpse, and post them. I will then roll saves, and post the answers that the corpses provide you with.
 
Last edited:

Aust Thale

Explorer
Vale:

As they are leaving the Temple of St. Cuthbert, he stops for a moment, stroking his chin in thought. He announces, "I am limited in just how many questions I can coax from the dead with these scrolls. It's a powerful tool, but in concept as well as practice. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Father Xavier would undoubtedly be able to ask more questions with a similar spell or scroll. I am pleased to lend assistance, especially given I am accompanying you to investigate and fight these undead. I simply feel the need to suggest more optimal options."



Respen:

~ I wonder if this is the direction of the platinum...nice to have shovels. ~

[sblock=OOC] As Respen can track, is the party heading to a meadow which is south of town, perhaps to the camp mentioned by Crestwall? Perhaps we can kill two birds with one stone. [/sblock]

GM:
The meadow is West of town, not South. Sorry.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
I get quiet again when talk of speaking with the dead and other magic is discussed. Not out of fear, but out of curiosity. To even the casual observer it appears that I am riveted by the subject matter and attempting to learn everything I can.

"What was Vaelik's goal in town? Did the orcs have a purpose in being this close to town? Vaelik coming upon our location seems too suspicious to be happenstance..." I muse aloud.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Vega pipes up and says, "I agree. One of the questions we ask should be, 'What was your goal in Caltaran?' Dewydd has good instincts, knowing a person's goals can tell you much more about them than you might at first expect."


 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sir Denby offers the following:

"I agree with Dewydd, also. Were it me, I'd ask about his goals, and my second question would be 'Who was your employer?' ... As for the other two, since they were both traveling together, I'd ask: 1. Where were you going? 2. Why were you going there? 3. Who were you going to meet? 4. Who sent you? ... Seems pretty straight-forward to me. Does anyone have any different ideas? Better questions?"

Sir Denby waits for a response.
 

Diarmadhim

Explorer
I nod in agreement with Denby and Vega. "I am in favor of those questions."

GM: From OOC Thread: Sylvar agrees also.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"Alright then. Let us ask 'Who was your employer' and 'What was your goal in Caltaran' to the half-orc Vaelik. We will ask the orc with the three hashmarks 'Where were you going' and 'Who sent you.' The orc with a gold bar can then be asked 'Who were you going to meet' and 'why were you going there.' I suggest this because the three hashmarks likely denote an enlisted member while the gold bar signifies an officer. As such, the enlisted man is less likely to know who they're meeting and why they're going than the officer. Any objections?"

GM:
+500 xp to Dewydd for a very insightful comment. You were right on the money!


 
Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Rolling for corpses....

Vaelik: 20,13: Made it for question 1 "Who was your employer?", failed for question 2 "What was your goal?"
Orc Lt: 10,7: Failed both.
Orc Sgt: 7,15: Failed "Where are you going?" Made "Who sent you?"


After a few minutes of preparation, Vale casts his spell. The whole party is silent, their attentions rapt.

The first corpse to be questioned is that of Vaelik, The Deathblade:

Vale: "Who was your employer?"
Vaelik: "Your mother!"
Vale spits in disgust, but does nothing. He knows that a mutilated corpse cannot speak.
Vale: "What was your goal?"
Vaelik: "To sew discord in the populace of Caltaran, and to breed distrust of the local authorities among the rural folk."

Next up, is the Orc Lieutenant:

Vale: "Who were you going to meet?"
Lieutenant: "The Fearsome Overlord of the Orcreich, Krogg Hechtlor, Lord High Skullbreaker Of The Fifth Reich."
Vale: "What was your purpose in going there?"
Lieutenant: "To form an alliance between the Orcreich and the Pomarj."

Next up, we have the Orc Sergeant:

Vale: "Where were you going?"
Sgt.: "We were headed to the Orcreich, the Western Expanse of Orcish Power."
Vale: "Who sent you?"
Sgt: "Nunya."
Vale: "Nunya? Nunya who?"
Sgt.: "Nunya Damned Business, You Ugly Dwarf!"

GM:
Continued in the next post...
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
END OF CHAPTER TWO

This is the end of Chapter Two. The next post will be entitled: "GREYHAWK, THE GOLDEN ERA CY963: CHAPTER THREE"

The Rollz.org dice room for that chapter shall be: GTGE-CHAP3.

GM:
Now that the party has gathered all of the information that it could from the corpses, we have reached a turning point in the story.

XP AWARD TIME!

Whole Party: +1,000 xp = End of chapter roleplaying award.

Whole Party: +1,000 xp = Discovery of Polymorphed Sheriff. [EXCEPT KASNIK]

Whole Party: +500 xp = Diffusing the fight between Sir Denby and his deputies. [EXCEPT KASNIK]

Whole Party: +500 xp = Befriending / Helping Sir Denby. [EXCEPT KASNIK]

Whole Party: +500 xp = Effective questioning of Beringer Crestwall.

Whole Party: +250 xp = For agreeing to escort Father Xavier and Father Clarence to Dyvers.

Whole Party: +500 xp = Effective questioning of the three corpses.


Whole Party Total: 4,250 xp. [KASNIK = 2,250 xp.] (Kasnik joined the campaign after three major events had already happened.)


Lathir Only: +150 xp = Spotting the Man in Green's suspicious behavior.

Lathir Only: +250 xp = Shadowing the Man in Green as a Dog.

Lathir Only: +150 xp= Making me laugh with his comment about "City Folk."

Lathir Only: +250 xp = Having the idea to take the horse, and use it to find hidden campsite.


Lathir Bonus Total: +800 xp.



Vale Only: +250 xp = Good Instincts (figuring out that Lathir is the dog following the Man in Green.)


Vale Bonus Total: +250 xp.



Sylvar Only: +250 xp = Performance bonus (Storytelling.)

Sylvar Only: +500 xp = Critical Strike to Capture the Man in Green alive!


Sylvar Bonus Total: +750 xp.


Kasnik Only: +150 xp= For humoring me with the OOC tags.

Kasnik Only: +250 xp = For cool background story.


Kasnik Bonus Total: +400 xp.


Dewydd Only: +250 xp = For assuming the role of party leader, and making decisions which advanced the story and worked for the good of the party.

Dewydd Only: +500 xp= For insightful analysis.


Dewydd Bonus Total: +750 xp.


After questioning the corpses, Sir Denby, Vega, Vale, and Dewydd each take up a shovel, and start to work digging graves. It takes several hours to dig the three graves, place the bodies in them, refill the graves, pat the dirt down, and say a prayer over them. It is Vale who officiates the funeral rites. The corpses are buried as honorable enemies of Clangeddin, as if they had simply fallen in battle. As part of the prayer, Vale states that their heinous crimes are forgiven, now that they have helped the cause of good through the truthful answering of the questions.

It is 6:15 pm as the party starts back toward town. Just as they are reaching the Southern Gate, at 6:45 pm., they meet up with Lathir! Lathir is riding Sugarfoot, and is being followed by a large, black bear which is ambling along lazily behind him.

"I picked up a friend," Lathir says, with a smile.

At this time of day, no one is at the gate to guard it. A deputy will probably be by within the next 20 minutes, to shut the gate as the sun sets, but there is currently no guard.

The party casually heads back to the Inn, getting strange looks from passerby who are staring at Lathir's new friend, with a mixture of awe, merriment, and fear.

The party drops their horses off once more at the stable. After some explanation from Lathir about its peaceful nature, the stablemaster allows the bear to stay as well. Surprisingly, the horses don't seem the least bit nervous at the bear's presence.

The party returns to the Inn at 7:15 pm. The sun is just beginning to set. The date is Patchwall 11, CY 963.

[Everyone: What do you do?]

===END OF CHAPTER TWO.===
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir Addresses the Party

Lathir -

"Good evening folks. I have not simply been attending to nature while I have been away; although, you can tell by the addition of Angus, that's the bear's name, that I have spent some time communing with my element."

"Sugarfoot, as the horse prefers to be called, was originally the mount used, and often abused, by the man in green that you captured. She actually belongs to me, but that is a story for another time. While I will assume you have spent the passing time questioning the suspicious man, I was able to ask the horse to lead me to where she was before being ridden into town."

"She led me to a campsite a little ways due south of here where I discovered the site had been occupied by two people, one much larger and on a heavier mount. I surmise that the other person was Vaelik. I also discovered a sealed box buried beneath a firepit. I have not attempted to open the box as I have no skill for it nor a means of determining if it is trapped."

"Angus, Sugarfoot, and I will gladly continue on with you in solving this obviously malevolent endeavor."

GM:
Once XP is awarded, a new thread begins. Thus, IC actions made after XP is awarded should be made on the new thread.
I have copied this post and pasted it there, for your convenience.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar: to everyone. It would appear that this mystery simply deepens. Might I suggest that find out what's in box. Then letting some more powerful people know of the treachery that is afoot. Denby, are there people you know you can trust within the local government?

GM:
We're on Chapter Three now. I will send you the link, and post Sir Denby's response there, also.


 
Last edited by a moderator:

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top