D&D 5E Greyhawk: Why We Need Mo' Oerth by 2024

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So you're suggesting they're keeping the door shut because they're worried the official 5E Greyhawk might be outshown by fan works?

Not just fan, professional writer with resources fan - it's an emerging hypothesis.

And/or they're worried that they might be drowned in garbage works that could also sink the setting. Who knows.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Agreed. In my years of playing nobody's really ever said anything that makes Greyhawk stand out as anything other than a slightly-different Realms, and I also don't super like the Realms. Like, there's a megadungeon castle, a god of racism, and a god of guns-that-aren't-really-guns. About all anyone mentions.

You mean other than human supremacist ninja Nazis?

Tough crowd.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I bet WoTC is a hesitant to do that - there are some fairly big Greyhawk fan fanboys out there who ALSO happen to be successful game designers/writers.

Heck if WoTC opened the door and Paizo allowed it, there isn't a bigger Greyhawk fanboy than Erick Mona (though I do wonder if he's actually capable of a fresh fun take at this point. Good early stuff but it's been a LONG time).
Heck, even if that were true, WotC would still make money from an DMsGuild sales.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
You mean other than human supremacist ninja Nazis?

Tough crowd.

Human supremacist ninja nazis.

Space ships.

Secret clones on the moon.

Infinite parallel worlds, including the Alice pocket dimension.

Every government type from “rule by demi-god” to “magocracy” to “democracy/republic” to “appointed autocracy” - and lots more.

Thariz…. Shut your mouth. We don’t talk about that….

Lum and Leuk-o, the original artificers.

Evard (I hear tentacles are big with the anime fans…).

Lands of black ice. Time travel. Flying monkeys and gateways to Barsoom and alternate WW2.

But yes - it’s just the Forgotten Realms.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Human supremacist ninja nazis.

Space ships.

Secret clones on the moon.

Infinite parallel worlds, including the Alice pocket dimension.

Every government type from “rule by demi-god” to “magocracy” to “democracy/republic” to “appointed autocracy” - and lots more.

Thariz…. Shut your mouth. We don’t talk about that….

Lum and Leuk-o, the original artificers.

Evard (I hear tentacles are big with the anime fans…).

Lands of black ice. Time travel. Flying monkeys and gateways to Barsoom and alternate WW2.

But yes - it’s just the Forgotten Realms.
I mean, most of that stuff IS found in the Realms. Now which came first, that is the question.

BTW, slightly off topic, what would you say is a bigger "take that" at Gary's expense, Castle Greyhawk or the R Series?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
BTW, slightly off topic, what would you say is a bigger "take that" at Gary's expense, Castle Greyhawk or the R Series?

I’d answer that in two parts.

First, the answer will always be Castle Greyhawk. There was no other product that was more legendary, more desired by the fan base, AND more closely associated with Gygax himself. So nothing could be a bigger “take that” to him than WG7. It is almost reason enough to make me understand why he eventually “rage quit” Greyhawk in the Gord series. Not reason enough to explain the terrible writing, but still.

Second, all that said, I don’t think it really tarnished his legacy. I will hold up his years from 1974-1982 with the run of any other great. But … if I’m honest, he was running out of creative juice even before he left TSR. People like to speculate about what 2e and D&D would have been like with Gygax still in charge … eh, arguably the last great original work he did was in ‘80 (the Folio) and allowing for Tharizdun in ‘82 is generous (many works that are attributed to him at TSR in the 80s are either written by others, or were actually written in the 70s and produced by TSR then for money).

Your garbage is some one else's treasure? I thought we don't want WOTC to dictate what D&D is and the DM's Guild is a part of that effort?
I fully support the dms guild and opening up greyhawk to it! Was responding to the idea that wotc doesn’t want to open it up to dms guild because they are worried about low quality fan supplements.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I mean, at this point bring them all back: Greyhawk, Birthright, Council of Dragons, Mystra...

Just don't complain about the new coat of paint they're going to need to make them palatable in this day and age. If you can't accept an update, then let the past be the past.

Also, bring back Castle Greyhawk. I wanna party with actor!Thor.

Remove ads