Griffonback chase through the streets and skies of Waterdeep

mwvdveld

First Post
Since Lord Ahghairon and his generals introduced griffons as flying steeds for Waterdeep’s armed forces, patrolling griffon-riders have become a regular sight among the skies of the City of Splendors. Many guards dream of joining the aerial cavalry one day, but in the end only the best are deemed worthy enough. Indeed, the Griffon Cavalry is a prestigious organisation and prospective members not only have to excel in various combat techniques, they often have to arrange favors or make significant donations to civic causes in order to join.

This skill challenge allows the DM to introduce the Griffon Cavalry in his campaign and can be used as an interesting hook for further (aerial) adventures. The actual challenge consists of a hazardous chase on griffonback through the skies and streets of Waterdeep. Although this particular challenge is set in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, it can easily be modified to fit in any other setting. A creative DM could swap the griffons with giant bats, gruesome drakes or even with flying carpets.

Setup: When a Drow runs past the PCs, knocks a griffon-rider unconscious, steals his griffon, mounts it and seconds later, shears over the PCs heads (maybe knocking one or two PCs prone), the PCs will surely want to chase this daring rascal… and guess what, today they can! In the commotion that follows, one of the patrolling griffon-riders fails to keep his mount under control and falls to the ground. The two other griffon-riders dismount immediately and try to help their injured colleague as best as they can. It seems that they are not even considering chasing the Drow daredevil. Besides, what is the point? Inexperienced griffon-riders never fly far… It would not be the first time a rider slides out of his saddle and falls to his dead! Most PCs will probably look at it from a whole other angle. They want to live on the edge, hoping to someday tell the tale. Well, this is their chance to shine! Come on… four griffons … begging to be mounted…

Level: Equal to the level of the party.

Complexity: 5 (requires 12 successes before 6 failures), some exceptions, see Special Rules.

Primary Skills: Acrobatics, Insight, Intimidation, Knowledge Nature, Nature, Perception and Streetwise, see Special Rules.
The Drow renegade tries to escape by flying through a busy shopping street, hoping to shake off his pursuers. This is presumably the most dangerous path he could take. Laundry is hanging to dry on clotheslines between houses, pulleys and cranes are being used to stock up shops, and builders are working on treacherous wooden scaffolds, repairing the damage the Spellplague has left behind. It should be clear; the PCs are in for a ride. Each round the PCs roll and see if they can close the gap or avoid a lethal collision with a random obstacle. Because the whole challenge can quickly span multiple rounds, you should make sure that the action does not become repetitive. Based on the number of successes a PC scores, you should alternate his skill options (closing the gap/gaining speed, see Special Rules below).

Special Rules: Because the PCs each ride their own griffon, the DM should track their successes separately. However, when one of the PCs succeeds at hampering the Drow, each party member should get a success (see skill description, below). If one or all of the PCs have the mounted combat feat, they gain access to the mounts special abilities (see MM). This also means that they can use the griffon’s statistics for Acrobatics, Endurance and Perception checks. Additionally, there are some actions the PCs can only take once during the skill challenge or when specific conditions are met (see skill description, below).

First Round (zero successes):
Knowledge Nature (high DC): A character can use this skill to pick the most healthy and most fierce-looking griffon of the pack. A failed check does not necessarily counts as a skill failure; it just means the PC picked the wrong griffon. As a DM this gives you some interesting options; you could assign the best steed to one of the other PCs (he gets an automatic success), or you could rule that this bad roll indicates that the PC mounts a young, fast but at the same time a quasi-unmanageable griffon (giving him a -2 penalty on all his subsequent checks).

Acrobatics (high DC): A character, who wants to make some kind of acrobatic stunt to mount his griffon with style, and take a head start, should be rewarded. On the other hand, a failed check should also be punished. On a bad roll, the PC fails to land in the saddle and simply smacks to the ground, losing one healing surge and earning his first skill failure for this challenge.

Collision (odd number of successes):
Acrobatics (very hard DCs): To avoid collision with an obstacle the PC jumps over it, ducks under it, or performs some other spectacular but quite deadly stunt. A successful save should earn the PC two skill successes. A failure means that the PC fails to land back in the saddle. This could mean that he has hit some obstacle or just fell to the ground. The PC takes some serious damage [high limited damage expression, DMG p42.] and automatically fails the whole skill challenge.

Acrobatics, mounted combat feat (moderate DCs): Instinctively, the griffon performs a dangerous aerial manoeuvre to avoid crashing into an obstacle. A successful check earns the PC a skill success; a failed check indicates that the griffon hits the obstacle and loses speed, earning the PC a skill failure. Additionally, both rider and mount take damage on a failed check, as per the difficulty and damage per level table [medium limited damage expression, DMG p42.] but both stay miraculously in the air. When rolling for this skill check the PC should use the mount’s statistics instead of his own.

Endurance, mounted combat feat (moderate DCs): Even griffons know that sometimes the easiest way to get past an obstacle is not over or under it, but through it! The griffon simply decides to hit the obstacle with his full bodyweight and to “ride with the punch”. Both rider and mount automatically take damage as per the difficulty and damage per level table [high limited damage expression, DMG p42.]. A successful check earns the PC a skill success, but on a failed save, the PC loses too much speed and the Drow increases his lead (the PC gets a skill failure). When rolling for this skill check the PC should use the mount’s statistics instead of his own.

Knowledge Nature (moderate DCs): On a successful check, the PC guides himself and his mount skilfully past the obstacle. If a PC with the mounted combat feat chooses this option, he may make the skill check with a +2 feat bonus. On a bad roll, the griffon tries his best to avoid the obstacle, but to no avail. A crash is inevitable. The PC gets a skill failure and both he and his mount take damage [low limited damage expression, DMG p42.] but can keep flying.

Closing the gap (even number of successes):
Endurance, mounted combat feat (moderate DCs): The griffon instinctively feels that his rider wants to fly faster and that is exactly what the beast does. When using this option the PC should use the mount’s statistics. A failed check has no gaming consequences.

Insight (hard DCs): The PC uses his social insights to assess and anticipate the Drow’s actions. If the distance between the Drow and the PC is too great (the PC has less than 7 skill successes), you could rule that he simply sticks in the slipstream of another PC. A failed roll earns the PC a skill failure.

Intimidate (easy DCs): The PC shouts and screams, scarring the citizens in the street. People start running for their lives and duck for cover, making place for the PC to pass. A failed check indicates that somebody failed to get out of the way. You could rule that the PC crashes into an innocent bystander. Severely injuring or even decapitating him. In any case, you should award the PC with a skill success, but make clear that the PCs actions will have some serious role-playing consequences in the future.

Knowledge nature (hard DCs): The PC urges his mount to fly faster than it has ever flown before. If the PC’s rolls successfully, his actions will not go unnoticed. The City Guards have always had a keen eye for spotting talent, be it with the sword, the staff or mounted on griffonback. The PC’s exceptionally deeds earn him two skill successes and should influence the attitude of the City Guards, later in the campaign. Flying at high speed does have his consequences, as long as the player does not earn a skill failure, he should make all subsequent skill checks at a -2 penalty. On a failed roll, the griffon goes wild. Apparently, it does not take orders from strangers. The PC barely manages to keep the staggering beast under control but this costs him his next turn and automatically earns him two skill failures. PCs with the mounted combat feat get a +2 feat bonus when rolling to resolve this skill check.

Perception (moderate DCs): The PC keeps a sharp eye on the road. He is looking for shortcuts or he is trying to avoid those situations that are bound to end in disastrous crashes. Using this skill does not count as a success or failure for the challenge, but instead provides a +2 bonus to the next character’s skill check. If the PC has the mounted combat feat, he may use the mounts perception score, instead of his own. A success with this skill unlocks the use of the streetwise skill as a possible option to resolve a future skill check.

Ranged Attack (hard DCs): The PC uses a fireball, an eldritch blast or a well-placed shot to hamper the fleeing Drow. As with the insight skill, you could rule that when the PCs have not accumulated enough skill successes, the PC aims at an obstacle instead, creating a free path for all the other party members. A successful roll awards all the other PCs with a skill success. A failed check has no gaming consequences.

Streetwise (moderate DCs): After the PC has made a successful perception check he can start looking for shortcuts. When a PC decides to cut some corners let him roll a streetwise check. On a successful roll, the PC deviates from the normal path, which earns him two skill successes. However if the PC decides to stick to the short route, it becomes increasingly difficult to find his way back. All streetwise checks after the first should be made at a cumulative -2 penalty. On a failed check the PC flies horribly lost. This earns him two skill failures.

Success: The PCs have closed the gap. The skill challenge should evolve naturally in a real encounter (be it on griffonback or simply on foot). What initially motivated the Drow and how his actions fit in a bigger scheme, is totally up to the DM. As always, the possibilities are endless.

Failure: The characters have all crashed and the Drow successfully gets away.

Aftermath: Success or failure does not change the fact that the PCs' joyride has probably caused a lot of damage. The Lords of Waterdeep will not take their actions lightly. Maybe they should keep quite for some time or just leave Waterdeep altogether. Whatever you decide, is up to you. But this article definably provides several hooks that could lead to greater adventure.

mwvdveld

First Post
I've submitted this text hoping it would be accepted and deemed good enough for publication, but since I still haven't gotten any reply... well I asume it got rejected. However since I think people will like it (maybe changing some stuff here and there), I'm putting it for grabs at these boards... HAVE FUN

...and suggestions are always welcome!!

If I ever get a reply from WoTC and they wish to buy this text,... well that's to bad... but I can assure you, there are more ideas from wich this one came!!!

mwvdveld

First Post
ShadowyFigure said:
did you wait60 days?

No I did not... but in my original mail I asked I they were considering submissions... Since it's my first try at getting something published (which I clearly stated in my mail) I would reckon they would give me some sort of "personal" feedback... On top of that my text is far from perfect (there are propably spelling mistakes that I overlooked and my grammar/sentences can surely be improved)...

Do you think it is good enough... and that I should have been more patient??

mwvdveld

First Post
I'm not that familiar with the eberron setting, but I do know that they have flying ships and thus fly alot ... I assume you could indeed translate the idea to say... the city of towers...

What about mechanics ? Does it seem balanced? Does nobody has suggestions?

I used it in my proper campaign and everybody was enthousiastic, immedeatly we were all in the "zone". I'ts a perfect game opener indeed, but you have to be able to keep up the pace after this one...

ShadowyFigure

First Post
mwvdveld said:
No I did not... but in my original mail I asked I they were considering submissions... Since it's my first try at getting something published (which I clearly stated in my mail) I would reckon they would give me some sort of "personal" feedback... On top of that my text is far from perfect (there are propably spelling mistakes that I overlooked and my grammar/sentences can surely be improved)...

Do you think it is good enough... and that I should have been more patient??

See that could be a problem, your meant to only send a summary and wait 60 days i believe. Or did you already do the summary?

Also they may not have even got round to your email.

mwvdveld

First Post
I'm a bit puzzeled... since well, 4E is now almost a month on the shelves and they still haven't updated their submission guidelines...

But this is what I did:
Sent an email asking if they were considering submissions
- no answer
Sent an email with a summary of this text (attatched the whole text because I wasn't quite sure what to do), asking if they could reply me If they were considering submissions (in the same mail)
- got a reply from a bot
I got impatient and posted everything here ;)
(I do know that by doing this I jeopardized my chances... but hell)

But do you think I should have waited longer ... And by the way I can't believe their swamped in submissions right now, DM and writers are just starting to know the system...

Remove ads