• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grindhouse

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Hm, let's see. Comparison wise, I'd say it's best to use both movies as a gauge, since it is a double feature.

Planet Terror (1st movie) vs. Sin City- Much more violent, and gruesome violence. It's all full of over-the-top gore horror, so if you don't like that, you might not enjoy this. I'm not a big fan of gore horror myself, to be honest, but this was so over the top and such an homage to the old horror films of the 60s/70s that I enjoyed it. The writing and acting was top-notch, too, so that helped. I'd go to see Grindhouse again just for Planet Terror alone, actually.

Death Proof (2nd movie) vs. Pulp Fiction- an apt comparison, as Death Proof is very definitely a Quentin Tarantino movie. It isn't terribly violent- though it has one or two places where it is so- it is very, very talky though. They could have cut out about half of it, IMO, and made a more solid piece. It has some really cool characters and interesting exchanges of dialogue, but someone needed to take QT's pen away, I think.

The trailers vary in scope, ranging from pretty violent but in a tongue in cheek way (Machete), to more suggestive (Thanksgiving and Don't!), and not very violent but odd (Werewolf Women of the SS).

Wormwood

Adventurer
Speaking as an insane Rodriguez/Tarantino fan-boy:

Grindhouse a piece of crap.

edit: allow me to clarify.

1. The trailers were very, very funny. Machete itself was worth the price of admission,. I only wish I'd left after the first 8 minutes.

2. The rest reeked of indulgence and self-reference. Those boys have a long way to go before I see another film of theirs on faith.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
Could someone compare Sin City or Pulp Fiction to Grindhouse for me -- level of violence, fun factor, etc.? I enjoyed Sin City and Pulp Fiction, but am shying away from Grindhouse for some reason.

Oh that's easy.

To paraphrase Ryan Dancey: Grindhouse is twenty minutes of fun crammed into three hours.

DonTadow

First Post
Two good movies, though the horror fan in me loved Planet Terror more and its homages to the classic. Anyone see that helicopter scene and thought of a certain LOTR director's lawnmower scene.

Tarantino's movie was good but not as much, probably because I don't like car movies. However, my fiance loved it, (her being a sexy gear head too). The dialogue was about the only thing I liked, but I think because it was so girl oriented I really couldn't get into it like pulp fiction.

Grindhouse was the most fun movie I've seen ever. Planet Terror was, in my opinion, a more entertaining movie throughout than Thunderbolt Death Proof, but the ending of Death Proof was a perfect way to end this thing. I mean, Planet Terror is a thrill and a hoot all the way through, but it ends with mock seriousness and love. Death Proof . . . hehehe. Punchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunchpunch Fall YAY! THE END

Credits

DROPKICK!

*grin*

I screamed in joy.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
All you had to do, was switch to the other side (of the gene pool), then you wouild have gotten it. :lol:
DonTadow said:
Two good movies, though the horror fan in me loved Planet Terror more and its homages to the classic. Anyone see that helicopter scene and thought of a certain LOTR director's lawnmower scene.

Tarantino's movie was good but not as much, probably because I don't like car movies. However, my fiance loved it, (her being a sexy gear head too). The dialogue was about the only thing I liked, but I think because it was so girl oriented I really couldn't get into it like pulp fiction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads