Gripes, Loves and Whines

Celia_Gyweth

First Post
My first gripe is Strongholds. Following the advice of a fellow player, I made sure I was IN my stronghold when leaving the game. Even so during the last re-set, I lost not only my Stronghold, but the 2.9 mil gold I paid for it. Not to mention the other stronghold bug. When I first bought it, I realized it was soooo in the wrong place. So, I decided to move it. The Stronghold statue said it would cost 250k, and while that would have brought me down to a pretty poor state, it wouldnt begger me. Instead, upon using the move option from the Stronghold statue, the move option not only took 250k, but ALL my good, totaling 478k.

That's it for me. Until the stronghold bugs are fixed, I refuse to spend my usually hard earned gold on something that is going to poof whenever it feels like it. And futhermore, Celia, who bought said stronghold, came into the game with a whopping 42k of gold.

If your thinking of buying a stronghold, I URGE you to consider it at length.

My second gripe is loot. Sure I realize it's unrealistic to find treasure in EVERY box, chest, dirt pile, weave of light, etc. But regardless of what charecter I play, 85% of all perm or random loot is empty. That precentage seems pretty high. Now, of my loves of Chainmail is that we do find very $$$ items. However, I have discovered something odd about that. Unless my charecter enters a NEW area she has never been in before, what loot that is found is usually the low level stuff (low level gems, low level potions, low level spells, and maybe a low level weapon if I am lucky.). I know this sort of thing can be ajusted, and no, I'm not asking anyone to fix it.

I would like however, to mirror a couple of recent posts in regards to Chainmail it'self. It's a great awesome world. Indeed, Celia has had a ton of fun just exploring, for the sake of exploring. There are so many awesome maps and cool monsters. Even though the NPC's in the towns and cities sometimes make me go "WTF?", it's great that they are there. And I like the fact there are so many merchents, not only perm, but also random.

In closing, I should also mention my job is taking a turn for the worse, and I'm going to be work some 60 hours a week for the next couple of months. I'll be around, but not like I was the first couple of months. And yes, that .pdf is underway. Just give me time :)

Chaz

First Post
There is a good amount of loot. You just have to go where it is. The boxes and chests(often empty) serve a purpose of giving XP to rogues who crack/untrap them. Imagine... actual XP for doing that. Well done Chainmail designer. So lets not gripe to much on that one.

The stronghold thing is bad. Chazman is still waiting on a refund for the ones(s) he bought. I have been playing around a little bit offline... and I think they can be made as a permanent structure and just added with a door in a tower graphic someplace. But this would require DM assistance.

All in all Chainmail is an EXCELLENT PW. It doesnt have that directed point A point B Modual feel. Its like just having a HUGE open world to explore. I also wish it was all patched up tight as can be, but given how much fun it is as is... im not complaining.

I would like to see the ability to have a stronghold for upper level characters. I think permanent ones can be added with a little help from Morrus if hes game. But even so its a fun Mod. It works well as a PW. Housing and perhaps a high end magic item vendor(if magic furnaces arent fixable) would round it out nicely. The vendor wouldnt really be a problem here since Chainmail has ILR turned on. So it wouldnt be like in tha later days of POA where everyone had high end magic items from lev 1 on up. ;)

Peace

Wayfarer

Explorer
Celia_Gyweth said:
In closing, I should also mention my job is taking a turn for the worse, and I'm going to be work some 60 hours a week for the next couple of months. I'll be around, but not like I was the first couple of months. And yes, that .pdf is underway. Just give me time :)

Sorry to hear this. We'll miss your presence in whichever incarnation you choose. :(

ps. I've been working on a thumbnail summary of the deities for players not familiar with the FR. I'll try to forward it to you when done.

Remove ads