D&D 5E Gritty Healing Pt 2: Spells

OptionalRule

Adventurer
To compliment the Gritty Healing & Survival system I posted earlier in the week, I published some rules for bounding healing in 5e. The core idea is that having unbounded healing when trying to use a slower healing or gritty mechanic invalidates that as healing classes just hold onto spell slots and tops everyone off each night. This was pretty much the standard in 3e and earlier. Additionally it forced those players to sit out, or at least only partially participate in many encounters as they wanted to hold onto resources for healing later. It wasn't uncommon in the days of 3e and before, for players to get upset at healers for using their resources in combat.

This provides some rules for bounding healing, focusing the choice to either use it in the encounter or naturally heal over night, but not both.

Gritty Healing Part 2: Spells

Stalker0

Legend
Just a few notes:

1) a paladins lay on hands can be used to slowly bring someone back, but a life clerics power cannot, which feels a little weird.

2) just confirming that an unconscious person with hitdice will still only get 1 pt of healing from healing spells (because they aren’t willing). Is that correct?

OptionalRule

Adventurer
Just a few notes:

1) a paladins lay on hands can be used to slowly bring someone back, but a life clerics power cannot, which feels a little weird.

2) just confirming that an unconscious person with hitdice will still only get 1 pt of healing from healing spells (because they aren’t willing). Is that correct?
Thanks for the feedback. Answers numbered to correspond.
1. True, but this is the same as the system currently. Paladin's can 1 pt everyone who is down in a number of situations. I considered a system where life clerics can spend their own HD in place of the targets, but I'm not sure what that gets us so I opted not to. With the impact of individual healing spells being more important (since they are limited) the bonus life clerics get seems more valuable now to me.

2. The player has to be willing, the character doesn't have to be conscious. This just means a player can't decide to burn another players resources without their consent.

Stalker0

Legend
2. The player has to be willing, the character doesn't have to be conscious. This just means a player can't decide to burn another players resources without their consent.
You may want to specify that then. While the books leave it up to interpretation on what willing means, Sage Advice has stated that "an unconscious character cannot be willing"... so there will be a good section of people who then utilize this system in an even grittier way than you intended.

Remove ads