• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grognards?

DamnedChoir

First Post
I'm personally very tired of hearing this term now thrown around for those people who don't like 4E, or don't think it's there thing anymore. (Especially for those of us who played it at DDXP)

Grognards, to me, are those old, 40something guys with big beards who sit in the back of game stores playing wargames and insist that Shadowrun is unplayable and it's all about this brand-new Tactical simulation of D-Day from a tiny indie basement publisher, and they laugh when you talk about White-Wolf, derisively.

I'm 24 years old, and I'm being called a grognard by the people who love 4E...but why is there so much hate, and just hostility in general projected towards people who so-far just don't think 4E is for them, and can actually back it up with reasons without getting abusive?

Why is it that saying anything anti-4E now labels you a grognard, or someone old who isn't willing to let go, and has people attack all your arguments and opinions?

Why are people so vehement?

I just don't get it.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
One of the many definitions of the word (the Wikipedia entry is missing, but Answers.com has it archived), and the way it's usually used around here, is to describe someone who believes that an older edition of the game is superior to the current edition. That means that anyone who won't switch to the new edition is a grognard, whatever "the new edition" refers to. There are 1E grognards, 2E grognards, OD&D grognards, and now even 3E grognards.

Crothian

First Post
I'm a grognard, but I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying 4e. That's my biggest problem with the use of the term. People seem to think I can't be a grognard and be pro 4e.

The Little Raven

First Post
DamnedChoir said:
I'm 24 years old, and I'm being called a grognard by the people who love 4E...but why is there so much hate, and just hostility in general projected towards people who so-far just don't think 4E is for them, and can actually back it up with reasons without getting abusive?

It's a reference to the French "Old Guard," of which the Grenadiers were known as "Les Grognards," because of their tendency to complain in front of Napoleon. It's now simply a slang term for someone who prefers older editions of a game (thus, they are the "old guard"). There's no insult implicit in the word.

Why are people so vehement?

Because people care. It's as simple as that.

Warbringer

Explorer
Mourn said:
Because people care. It's as simple as that.

You can care without being disrepectful.

It's vehement because it's easier "to win" a debate by being offensive rather than continuing one by being respectful of the counterpoints...

Note, that vitriol is on both sides of the entrenchment.

Psion

Adventurer
Warbringer said:
You can care without being disrepectful.

It's vehement because it's easier "to win" a debate by being offensive rather than continuing one by being respectful of the counterpoints...

Note, that vitriol is on both sides of the entrenchment.

Wait, what?

Where's the disrespect here? Most (traditional) Grognards wear the term like a badge of honor; I don't see much disdain intended when applying this term nor offense taken to those who it is applied to.

Remove ads