• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Group names

Faraer

Explorer
This is one of the subjects that would be covered in the book about adventurers and the adventuring culture of Faerûn that I'd like to see Wizards publish. (It's both a neglected-in-print area of Realmslore and a book with obvious powergaming-freak appeal.)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Let's see... Iron Guard... 1st edition D&D with a lot of planar travel and a lot of trips via Spelljammers....

Black Legion... heavily based off of the Black Company

Soldiers of Fortune, mercenary group that was eventaully assembled into the Black Legion...

Shadow Cloaks...

Many others.

Organization names are always a good thing.

JoeGKushner

First Post
NeuroZombie said:
Great thread! I am about to start an Eberron campaign next weekend and I am planning on "nudging" the players into naming their group by being asked by various NPC's who they are or "what do you call yourselves". So far, from this thread, I have compiled a list of starting points for naming a group:

The Order of....
The Company of...
The Companions of...
The Band of...
The Seekers of...
The Walkers of...
The Blades of...
The Circle of...
The Crusaders of...
The Warriors of...
The Raiders of...

(obviously adding a "the" if applaicalbel after "of")

Any others you can think of?

Sons
Daughters
Spawn
Children
Lords

Pretty much any noun will do.

Dogs of War for example.

Rika

First Post
Once in GURPS fantasy we had a group named the Liberators.

We even had business cards because people kept asking us "Who are you people?" and we got sick of trying to answer it.

We have a Marvel game now that took over a month to name the superhero group. I still can't remember what we decided on.

direcow

First Post
The group I run for got their name from the gnome druid in the group. In order to do some work for the city they were in, they had to become an officially sanctioned adventuring company, which required them to have a name. However, the druid was the only character to show up at the government offices to fill out the necessary paperwork while the rest of the party went off to buy magic swords and what not. So the druid, a Mr. Leafy Badgerbuddy named the party Leafy's Legion, which is funny since his character is definitely not the charismatic leader type. So now whenever they're in the city the guards and other city officials refer to them as Leafy's Legion. It's a hoot. Although I was really hoping he would have gone with the name Badger's Buddies.

The party in the game I run is called The Companions of the Raven. The name is the result of one of our group who was in the process of packing to move, and instead of playing a PC for 2 or 3 sessions, he volunteered to roleplay our wizards familiar, a raven. Well, David nailed the raven, puctuating events and conversations with quoteable lines such as "Squawk-arson-fire-Squawk", "Squawk-Not true-Not true-Squawk", and "Squawk-bad halfling-squawk". His unexpected outbursts and nailing the perfect line at the right time cracked us up every time. The raven became a much more central figure in the game, not just a familiar, but a familiar with personality. I'm still waiting for the sound clips I was promised, so I can use them in game. :)

JesterPoet

First Post
direcow said:
The group I run for got their name from the gnome druid in the group. In order to do some work for the city they were in, they had to become an officially sanctioned adventuring company, which required them to have a name. However, the druid was the only character to show up at the government offices to fill out the necessary paperwork while the rest of the party went off to buy magic swords and what not. So the druid, a Mr. Leafy Badgerbuddy named the party Leafy's Legion, which is funny since his character is definitely not the charismatic leader type. So now whenever they're in the city the guards and other city officials refer to them as Leafy's Legion. It's a hoot. Although I was really hoping he would have gone with the name Badger's Buddies.

Well, nobody said I wasn't the party leader...

Alhazred

First Post
As a player, the group with which I was playing until recently called itself The Grey Wolves of Temus. The campaign began in the town of Temus, and one of the characters was a druid with a wolf (grey, of course) as her animal companion.

As a DM, group names have included The Emerald Company (after a set of emerald rings found in the first significant treasure haul), The Five (five players tired of trying to think up a name) and, in a brief campaign, The Sons of Lucky (Lucky was a party mule from our first 3.0 game - the only 'character' to survive the campaign).

jerichothebard

First Post
Thinking back further, in addition to the Companions of the Rising Sun, I've also had characters as part of the following groups:

the Zoo Crew (D&D, everyone has pets!)
Banshee Squadron (Robotech)
The Lost Boys (D&D - planar castaways!)
SNAFU (Superhero game - we even printed business cards. In the real world. Sad, but true.)
Gryphon Companies, Unlimited (Pall. Fantasy)
The Travelers (D&D)
The United States Air Force

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads