• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL news.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Jon Wake said:
I'd put even money on Paizo doing 4E books inside of two years.
Of course they would. Any RPG publisher would be wise to have at least one 4E-compatible product line, no matter what. 4E products for the 4E gamers, Pathfinder products for the Pathfinder gamers...it's a win/win scenario.

Last edited:

zoroaster100

First Post
It sounds like this is very good news. Of course, that depends on what specific limitations, if any, apply to the GSL in terms of what type of products can be done with it. I hope the GSL is sufficiently nonrestrictive that Paizo would still be willing to produce adventure paths and a campaign world for 4E at some point.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I think that's absolutely okay. Heck, I expected it anyways; they'd be clever to do a separate line of 4e products in addition to Pathfinder. Erik et al are smart cookies.

I've been predicting Paizo 4E by GenCon 2010 for awhile now ;) Very glad (if completely expected) to see this note today. No, the inmates did not take over the asylum and that boycott of pre-ordering 4E never got organized. I think the important thing to take home from all this is that I was right. (and yes I'm being silly here, I'm not THAT guy heh)

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
I am very happy that WOTC will have a free license available. My hope is that it will not be too restrictive. I would of course like to see the license now (don't need the SRD) so that I have time to digest the legalise, but if I have to wait until June thats better than waiting 6 months.

My biggest concerns deal with conversion of older material, interactive programs (char generators etc), and how Gleemax fits into all of this. My hope is that everything will be open.

Thanks,
Scott

pawsplay

Hero
Apparently my quiet ranting on the Internet aligned with what WotC decided to do anyway, after all. :) I think this is a good decision for WotC, good for gaming, good for everyone. Even if the GSL isn't everything some might have hoped for, it means the door is open and third parties can continue to do that thing they do.

As for Pathfinder... this might make a slower climb at first, but I think Pathfinder was intended primarily to support 3e fans in the first place, rather than compete with 4e, and secondly, as a resource for people who have plenty of 3e games to play before they liquidate their libraries and "go 4e." I think in the long run this is good for Pathfinder, because a split market probably isn't good for anybody.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
MichaelSomething said:
Huzzah!

Now for a much harder task; convincing my WOTC only DM to accept 3 party stuff :(
Show him anything by Bastion Press (now Dragon Wing Games).

I am MUCH in love with the Oathbound setting (RIP), and their Torn Asunder, and their Faeries books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads