GSL questions for Scott Rouse and Mike Lescault

Lizard

Explorer
xechnao said:
This is not my point. Star Wars being more mainstream (as an idea) gives a better consumer "excuse" to establish D&D. People are more likely to accept D&D's payouts (from money and time investment to gaining negative social "labels") if it somehow connects to Star Wars which is already massively accepted and established.

Conversations never heard in High School:
"So, you lamewads are pretending to be magical fairies?"
"Yeah, but if we wanted to, we could use the same rules to pretend to be Jedi Knights!"
"Oh. Well, that makes it totally kick-ass!"

Your thesis has no evidence to support it except your own assertion that it is so. The idea people would be more likely to play D&D because a Star Wars RPG exists and uses a similair rule set is pretty much self-evidently absurd. Do you have anything to offer to support it? Sales figures? Marketing surveys? Statements from WOTC insiders?

Star Wars used the D20 system in part to lure D&D players to the brand, not to lure Star Wars fans to D&D.

xechnao

First Post
Lizard said:
Conversations never heard in High School:
"So, you lamewads are pretending to be magical fairies?"
"Yeah, but if we wanted to, we could use the same rules to pretend to be Jedi Knights!"
"Oh. Well, that makes it totally kick-ass!"

Your thesis has no evidence to support it except your own assertion that it is so. The idea people would be more likely to play D&D because a Star Wars RPG exists and uses a similair rule set is pretty much self-evidently absurd. Do you have anything to offer to support it? Sales figures? Marketing surveys? Statements from WOTC insiders?

What is a bigger franchise? Star Wars or D&D? It is like comparing the Mario Bros brand name and a Mario specific video game. What would you prefer to commercialy own? The rights to Star Wars or to D&D?

Lizard said:
Star Wars used the D20 system in part to lure D&D players to the brand, not to lure Star Wars fans to D&D.

The relation is mutual. D&D at this point lures D&D players to the Star Wars RPG brand, but Star Wars did give value to D&D to begin with. I am distinguishing two separate entities here: Star Wars as a general brand name and the RPGs.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
xechnao said:
What is a bigger franchise? Star Wars or D&D? It is like comparing the Mario Bros brand name and a Mario specific video game. What would you prefer to commercialy own? The rights to Star Wars or to D&D?

If I am publishing role-playing games?

NO QUESTION that D&D is the better brand. No contest. It's not even close.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
xechnao said:

The relation is mutual. D&D at this point lures D&D players to the Star Wars RPG brand, but Star Wars did give value to D&D to begin with. I am distinguishing two separate entities here: Star Wars as a general brand name and the RPGs.

I'm thinking this may be a topic for a separate thread, eh?

Lizard

Explorer
xechnao said:

These questions indicate you really don't understand the topic at hand.

WEG managed to go broke despite owning the Stars Wars RPG IP. Even when they had it, they were never a serious competitor for dominance, trailing TSR and White Wolf in the marketplace. People were not drawn to other WEG games because of the Star Wars RPG license.

Star Wars gave NO value to D&D. None, zero, zip, nada, zilch. Ownership of Star Wars for WOTC was part of general synergy (Hasbro makes Star Wars toys), cachet, and possibly to keep a valuable IP from being owned by another party. The Star Wars RPG (pre-saga edition) was not 'entry level' or especially n00b-friendly; it was not a gateway game, but one aimed at experienced roleplayers -- primarily D&D players.

xechnao

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
If I am publishing role-playing games?

NO QUESTION that D&D is the better brand. No contest. It's not even close.

My question was not limited to just publishing RPGs. I think I tried to make that clear above.

xechnao

First Post
Lizard said:
These questions indicate you really don't understand the topic at hand.

WEG managed to go broke despite owning the Stars Wars RPG IP. Even when they had it, they were never a serious competitor for dominance, trailing TSR and White Wolf in the marketplace. People were not drawn to other WEG games because of the Star Wars RPG license.

Star Wars gave NO value to D&D. None, zero, zip, nada, zilch. Ownership of Star Wars for WOTC was part of general synergy (Hasbro makes Star Wars toys), cachet, and possibly to keep a valuable IP from being owned by another party. The Star Wars RPG (pre-saga edition) was not 'entry level' or especially n00b-friendly; it was not a gateway game, but one aimed at experienced roleplayers -- primarily D&D players.

When WEG had the rights to Star Wars it was a diiferent age -either for Star Wars either for RPGs and many other things.

On a seperate note remember also that TSR failed too.

Bacris

First Post
xechnao said:
This is not my point. Star Wars being more mainstream (as an idea) gives a better consumer "excuse" to establish D&D. People are more likely to accept any of D&D's price (from money and time investment to gaining negative social "labels") if it somehow connects to Star Wars which is already massively accepted and established.

This is an interesting opinion.

But without any sort of proof, that's all it is - an opinion.

Please stop trying to browbeat others into believing it to be fact.

Remove ads