• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - the Rouse discusses D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arawn76

Explorer
Scott just to add my thanks for your posts in this thread :D.

I cannot tell you how excited I got at the mention of Hommlett in particular :blush:. As an aside if that's still in the planning stage I heartily encourage a full conversion of T1-4 ;).

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
One area I wish we had done more on with the launch of 4e was conversion. The conversion from 2e to 3e was largely a failure, but it was attempted and it got people to sample the system at a minimum. Even though the the conversion of character etc was wonky it got people to convert none the less. Because we knew it was wonky the last time we didn't attempt it with 3.5 to 4e. By not attempting any sort of 3.5 to 4e conversion we put up an artificial barrier to certain people.

Honestly, Scott, I do not think that you are having problems getting people who played 3.xE to sample 4E.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Scott,

Firstly, I would echo the thanks expressed by other posters for the time you have taken for posting here.

What is your strategy with adventures? More particularly, for adventure paths?

1. Dungeon: I (and many, I think) would argue that Scales of War is quite disjointed (it really needs a "keeper of canon") and so doesn't do a good job as either an adventure path, or in the context of this thread, an introduction about how to build a campaign in 4E. For the next one could I suggest that someone be appointed to really shepherd the whole process and to use it as both an adventure path and a teaching aid for new DMs.

2. Published Adventures: Is there any plan to do a new "hard copy" adventure path? Will you make it more "newbie-friendly" to help introduce the game to the new DMs and players you plan to attract?

3. Forgotten Realms/Eberron: I understand that your strategy involves only having the three books for each (plus LFR at this point in time), but what about ensuring that the next adventure path published in Dragon or in hard copy includes conversion notes even if it is just a series of website articles?
It would also be great if a "guru" for each world could have some input into the overall adventure path before it is designed to make sure the conversion is an easier process. After all, if you're going to keep the IP you may as well use them!

4. More Chris Perkins: Seriously, this guy can write adventures but his writing gigs are few and far between. I know his new role is important but, without being able to call on the Paizo crew to do the heavy lifting anymore, you need someone with his talents to "lunch up" the adventure writing.

5. More Rich Baker: Like Chris, this guy can write adventures well (and novels, too). He has a particular style that translates well to adventure paths or series in particular. I do hope we will see more adventures with him as author.

MacMathan

Explorer
The problem I see with video games and 4e is that AI could not be used to make a fun experience in the way Baldur's Gate did. 3e was a game based on resources and exploration, 4e is more chess like. *SNIP*[/QUOTE

OT but Baldur's Gate was most definitely a 2nd edition game.

Last edited:

MacMathan

Explorer
@Scott:

First let me commend you on recognizing that some people have an issue as far as 4e goes and it's very tactical combat centric nature. I think some people are confusing the issue, I don't think people necessarily don't want combat to be tactical... but want a robust system that handles things outside of combat in an interesting way as well. Many are equating it with an either/or thing... when it doesn't have to be.
*SNIP*

Self-removed didn't catch that there was a fork for system oriented discussion, sorry.

Last edited:

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
So it was no accident. ;)

Glad to hear that, and I think other German players will agree. :cool:

I really wonder who´s going to be the new licensing partner. Ulisses seems to be the new juggernauth on the market - but the own TDE and have licensed Pathfinder, so i highly doubt that they would do 4e. Amigo? *shudders* Do they even still exist? Hmmm... Time will tell.

Scott, i know you have enough stuff to do, but please, please, for all that is holy, have someone check the translation of the Corebooks after they´re done - don´t let your new licensee use the translation lists from Feder & Schwert, just because thats easier and cheaper. I´ve reviewed enough 3.x D&D stuff for X-zine to know that the translations have been a big obstacle for German D&D players in the past. If you want to get people into the game in Germany, force your licensee to do a quality translation.

Henrix

Explorer
Adventures with more roleplaying or the fun flavor type stuff with familiars are good examples of this.

I fully support this!

I think the point where 4e failed to show the roleplaying bits is mainly in the published adventures and examples of play - the focus on the 'delve' things is an extreme example.

xechnao

First Post
I guess the gold box games aren't "classic" CRPGs then...
Gold box? We are talking about Baldur's Gate here. It is not only about a video game that was one of the best video games of its time, it is also universally a very good game. Also its time was more significant relatively to success in the broad market: in the very end of 90s more people were directly engaging with computers and video games than in the early 90s, late 80s. The strategic brand awareness for D&D is vastly important for its power in its own market. It is not random that the survey Wotc has made(the one Scott presented in the seminar) deals with this performance.

OT but Baldur's Gate was most definitely a 2nd edition game.
Yes, I know. I have the complete series. But it's the same due to the magic-resource system being based on the same model.

hong

WotC's bitch
Gold box? We are talking about Baldur's Gate here. It is not only about a video game that was one of the best video games of its time, it is also universally a very good game. Also its time was more significant relatively to success in the broad market: in the very end of 90s more people were directly engaging with computers and video games than in the early 90s, late 80s. The strategic brand awareness for D&D is vastly important for its power in its own market. It is not random that the survey Wotc has made(the one Scott presented in the seminar) deals with this performance.

Yes, I know. I have the complete series. But it's the same due to the magic-resource system being based on the same model.
There are indeed problems with adapting 4E to a computer game. However, they have nothing to do with what you've been talking about. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads