• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GTS 2009 D&D Seminar - the Rouse discusses D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

hong

WotC's bitch
For the edification of xechnow:

Immediate interrupts and immediate reactions are the issue. At the least, you would need to program the AI to react to the user's actions out of its turn. Ideally, you also want an interface to allow the user to react to the AI's actions, if you don't want the AI handling all immediate actions itself.

Talk of 4E not supporting exploration or dialogue or resource management or whatever else it is that was so good about Baldurs Gate is silly. 4E supports this to the exact same extent that any version of D&D has supported it.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Good advice here. One chapter in a book won't change that perception. I would love to see some more RP type modules like the original Ravenloft.
So... more good adventures are going to be planned? More RP-heavy adventures? That would change the perception a lot, I assume (esp. as KotS was pretty "dungeon-crawly" for an introductory adventure and sure tinted the perception).
yes we are in active negotiations with a new German publishing partner
Very cool! Happy to hear that!

Cheers, LT.

avin

First Post
Scott, if you are still around and are allowed to talk about that: the art style of fourth edition was incluenced by World of Warcraft (for the Horde!) or maybe aimed to attract a younger audience who will represent D&D future? :)

hong

WotC's bitch
Your comment above: "has nothing to do with what you are talking about" is just a dismissive quote for the sake of making a dismissive point. Why do you need to do such a thing is beyond me.

To point out that your objections are baseless, of course.

xechnao

First Post
For the edification of xechnow:

Immediate interrupts and immediate reactions are the issue. At the least, you would need to program the AI to react to the user's actions out of its turn. Ideally, you also want an interface to allow the user to react to the AI's actions, if you don't want the AI handling all immediate actions itself.

Talk of 4E not supporting exploration or dialogue or resource management or whatever else it is that was so good about Baldurs Gate is silly. 4E supports this to the exact same extent that any version of D&D has supported it.

Thanks for the edification hong.

Well I disagree. AoO is an example of what you are talking about and it has been implemented already in games. Also "readying" actions is something very similar already implemented in various games. Blooded conditions would seem to fit in the same problematic you are talking about and whole AI dynamics are build around this sort of thing.

I insist on the exploration problematic due to the limited focus on resource managment and greater focus on tactics. Jagged alliance has a story too. It is that plot development though is easier to do with a model of limited "explorative" resources than tactical play. Perhaps they could do a sandbox kind of game though but then that would be WoW raiding style game and I doubt they could compete with this to make any sort of impression.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Adventures with more roleplaying or the fun flavor type stuff with familiars are good examples of this.
Agreed on both counts. Logan Bonner deserves a raise for the familiar roleplaying hooks.

My personal hesitation with many currently published modules is that I prefer a lot of roleplaying challenges, and those seem few and far between. When my Scales of War adventure is getting complimented for being role-playing rich, and it feels combat heavy to me, I know I have a disconnect. I'd love to see more social challenges in what you guys publish.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
[sblock=I've sblocked your post instead of removing it, but please see my admonition below. Don't sidetrack the thread. ~ Piratecat]
Thanks for the edification hong.

Well I disagree. AoO is an example of what you are talking about and it has been implemented already in games. Also "readying" actions is something very similar already implemented in various games. Blooded conditions would seem to fit in the same problematic you are talking about and whole AI dynamics are build around this sort of thing.

Ah, so you're saying that immediate actions are not in fact a barrier to a 4E game. That's good to hear! Unfortunately, this would appear to be more of an indication that you have misunderestimated the complexity of immediate actions as they interrelate with powers, rather than a correct analysis thereof.

I insist on the exploration problematic due to the limited focus on resource managment and greater focus on tactics. Jagged alliance has a story too.

But, but, you get ppl complaining about how everyone having daily powers leads to the 15-minute day and stuff. You can't be saying that they're wrong and 4E characters can keep going like Energizer bunnies, can you?

It is that plot development though is easier to do with a model of limited "explorative" resources than tactical play.

Nonsense. Cf Mass Effect, which doesn't even track ammunition. Or even Fallout 3, which is 99% exploration-oriented, but lets you warp to your home base for R&R.[/sblock]

Last edited by a moderator:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Guys, if you want to talk about video games, fork the thread. Interesting topic, but this isn't the place.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads