D&D 5E [GUIDE] Arrive on Time - A General Guide to Wizardry

Aeroth Robert

First Post
This is by far the best and most detailed guide out there not just wizard guide. Love it!

Will you update it with xanathar's guide material ? there are plenty of new spells and a new subclass.

Cheers,
Robert

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Hey Robert,

Thanks for the kind words! I am actually in the process of updating the google doc side of the guide now. Once that is done, ill copy the changes over here.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Hey All. Just wanted to let you know that the google doc is updated. Ill eventually get around to copying the changes over here, but the formatting is kinda a pain. In the meantime, just click the link at the top to head over to the google doc.

jgsugden

Legend
Thanks for the updates.

One comment on items - the single most useful item my wizard has are his Winged Boots. Being able to fly without using up your concentration is a huge benefit. Off the chart.

Speaking of charts, your immune/resistant chart would be eve more useful if you put vulnerable next to each of the energy types to see the ratio of resistant to vulnerable.

Finally, I think yor comments make good reference to concentration often, but the color of the spells do not always line up. If a spell is not the arguably the best choice for using concentration at a given level, I can't see it being dark blue or better... And you have a lot of concentrtion spells at each level that are that level or above.

FullCaster

First Post
Thanks for the updates.

One comment on items - the single most useful item my wizard has are his Winged Boots. Being able to fly without using up your concentration is a huge benefit. Off the chart.

Speaking of charts, your immune/resistant chart would be eve more useful if you put vulnerable next to each of the energy types to see the ratio of resistant to vulnerable.

Finally, I think yor comments make good reference to concentration often, but the color of the spells do not always line up. If a spell is not the arguably the best choice for using concentration at a given level, I can't see it being dark blue or better... And you have a lot of concentrtion spells at each level that are that level or above.

The thing about 5th edition is that there are very few monsters with vulnerabilities. You can go an entire campaign without them even coming up. That's why they are not worth mentioning.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Thanks for the updates.

Totally agree on the boots. I should add them. In fact the whole party should have them eventually.

Id be happy to add vulnerability to the charts if someone wants to tally them up 😁

For concentration and spell levels that’s probably a fair point. Iirc I tried not to give two concentration spells light blue at the same level unless they do very different things. But remember that dark blue is “good in a majority of situations” spells like bigbys hand, for example, definitely fit that description even if there are better or equally good options at that level.
That said, ill take another look through the list with that lens in mind. I like to periodically update the ratings anyway as i get more feedback and experience. If you have any specific suggestions let me know.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
I noticed you hadn't rated Infestation (XGTE) on the gdocs file, even though it's a wizard spell. Did you just miss it?

Whoops, good catch. Ill add it. Spoilers: looks pretty bad to me unless you have some kind of cheese in mind to take advantage of the movement.\

Also, i think the post is too big or something, because I keep getting errors when I try to update the guide on here.

Last edited:

Sillvva

First Post
An interesting trick for Abjuration Wizards. There are a few ways to be able to cast Abjuration spells at will without spending spell slots or material components. Some examples include the Warlock's Armor of Shadows invocation or the Svirfneblin Magic feat for the Deep Gnome. With these abilities, you can fully restore the ward after every fight in a matter of seconds without spending any resources.

Remove ads