D&D 5E [Guide] Blades of Justice: The 5e Paladin guide

Old Lancer

First Post
Protection from Evil and Good protects against more than Celestials, Fiends, and Undead in 5e. Its effects also cover aberrations, elementals, and fey which makes it useful in a wider amount of scenarios than how you've described it. This impacts Devotion's 15th level feature as well as the spell's normal rating.

Gavin O.

First Post
Added oath of the crown, and changes the rating on protection from evil and good to reflect the fact that it covers more creature types than I thought.

About Moonbeam, a 5 ft. radius = 10 ft. diameter. As in the AoE will actually be 10 feet across. So it can actually catch more than one enemy, although they'll have to be clustered right next to each other.

A few things. 1st: You forgot the Triton race, which is actually a decent Paladin due to increases to STR, CON, and CHA.
There are a few other things to note about various spells: Shield of Faith is concentration, so while good I don't think it's great. The spells Divine Favor and Branding Smite might not seem all that great, but they are better then you think because they do not have the word "melee" in the spell description-- meaning you could use both spells with a ranged weapon (such as a javelin). Also, most things outside of casters that can turn invisible fall under the effects of Divine Sense.

Also, there is NOTHING on the base Paladin features. You mention them in the descriptions for other things, but you do not list them, and mention how to use them/why they are good.

Why does nobody ever realize that Oath of Crown's Turn the Tide can also be used in a similar manner to the Fighter's Second Wind at the beginning of a short rest, healing EVERYONE for around the level of a hit dice, at no cost to you? (unless the rest is interrupted, at which point those extra hit points across the board could still be a lifesaver). This makes it a little higher tier, in my opinion.

GuyLomBard-O

First Post
Great guide, thanks for putting it up! I'm starting my first paladin character, and this was very helpful!

I was confused about one thing you said, though...this about the Conquest Paladin: "Oath Spells A solid list with some great control options. Command, Hold Person, Fear, even Dominate Person. The rest of your spells aren’t anything remarkable"

I found it odd, because it was actually one of the other Oath Spells that attracted me to the conquest paladin in the first place - Spiritual Weapon. Maybe it's just me, but hitting 5th level and going from one attack per round to basically 3 attacks per round sounded pretty boss. And it's not even concentration, so you can still cast Divine Favor, or maintain a smite spell until it triggers (or take a 1-level Hexblade dip at 6th level, and get the Hex spell's damage 3x/turn).

You didn't even list it in the oath spells section. Why isn't this more exciting to you (and maybe everybody else out there who's actually played paladins before)? Maybe you're right, but I thought it looked like a good way to use my bonus action.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Great guide, thanks for putting it up! I'm starting my first paladin character, and this was very helpful!

I was confused about one thing you said, though...this about the Conquest Paladin: "Oath Spells A solid list with some great control options. Command, Hold Person, Fear, even Dominate Person. The rest of your spells aren’t anything remarkable"

I found it odd, because it was actually one of the other Oath Spells that attracted me to the conquest paladin in the first place - Spiritual Weapon. Maybe it's just me, but hitting 5th level and going from one attack per round to basically 3 attacks per round sounded pretty boss. And it's not even concentration, so you can still cast Divine Favor, or maintain a smite spell until it triggers (or take a 1-level Hexblade dip at 6th level, and get the Hex spell's damage 3x/turn).

You didn't even list it in the oath spells section. Why isn't this more exciting to you (and maybe everybody else out there who's actually played paladins before)? Maybe you're right, but I thought it looked like a good way to use my bonus action.

Because it's not a new option, it's something already on the paladin's list.

Remove ads