D&D 5E [GUIDE] The Art of War: A Fighter Guide

NADRIGOL

Explorer
EK has much more early level appeal with the addition of the SCAG cantrips. GFB and BB both represent DPR buffs at most EK levels if you can proc their secondary damage. Battlemaster for me, still has more appeal early when EK has so few spells, but I think the tipping point is is earlier now than it used to be.

mellored

Legend
Strong, but not on par with paladin or barbs.
Sentinel is key, and a few battlemaster maneuvers can help depending on position. Though your OA damage doesn't scale.

Fighter's are the best at damage. Even sword and board will do good damage.
20 dex, Crossbow expertise, sharpshooter, and precision strike. Let allies buff you (bless, bard, crusader's mantle, foresight) and just mow things down.

2-handed champions works at higher level, but you don't gain much for the loss of range, so there only really better indoors.

skirmisher
No need. Unless the rest of the party is barbarians and paladins, you'll want to go towards the enemy, not away.
Mobility feat is about it.

Mediocre at best. Your better off being the target of support, not the giver.
Commander's strike and PDK both work good with rogues, who's single attack is pretty strong, but you generally better off hitting things yourself. Maybe give up an attack to prone depending on initiative. You can also use your extra feats for inspiring leader, healer, or extra skills.

EK brings some utility, but not really support.

In short, fighters are strikers, with a heavy side of tank, but little else.

NADRIGOL

Explorer
Though your OA damage doesn't scale.

It can scale outrageously with the UA Tunnel Fighter fighting style. Not to single targets, but to hordes. I proposed a minotaur build on the forums a while ago I'm excited to try someday that was all about lockdown and OA's.

Eldeitch knight is really good. Even a single shield spell at the right time can save a lot of lifes.

I think the missed opportunity on purple dragon knight was just adding charisma to healing. A significant boost on level 3. At later levels it won't be oberpowered. Actually fighter level in hp on 3 persons is not insignificant. It may be another hit and it may put 3 alloes back on their feet. And still... just adding +2 or so fromchatisma would help a lot. Another Idea would be just allowing the target to add a hit die on the amount healed.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Eldeitch knight is really good. Even a single shield spell at the right time can save a lot of lifes.

I think the missed opportunity on purple dragon knight was just adding charisma to healing. A significant boost on level 3. At later levels it won't be oberpowered. Actually fighter level in hp on 3 persons is not insignificant. It may be another hit and it may put 3 alloes back on their feet. And still... just adding +2 or so fromchatisma would help a lot. Another Idea would be just allowing the target to add a hit die on the amount healed.

Yes. Really any use for Charisma on a leader type of fighter would be good. I know they set up everything assuming point buys, which means CHR is dump stat most of the time, but some still roll for abilities. Doing so you can get a good score in CHR and can play a leader type.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases