Guide to Adventure Writing

Aus_Snow

First Post
Quotable for so much troofiness, it broke the damn gauge. In particular: 'Do not fudge the dice. Ever.'

Hell, yeah. :cool:

A pretty timely set of reminders, for me personally, as I'm currently running an old school campaign.* As in, using an old school system, even. :eek: And yeah, it's awesome fun. So fast to play - jeebus! Something I knew in theory, and kinda remembered, but wow. It's all true.

* Oh yeah, a pertinent detail - I'm writing my own adventures, too.

eric mcloins

First Post
I disagree with what you say in almost everything.

But what I resent most of all is that what you are implying through the whole of your essay is that if I don't play it YOUR way than I'm playing it wrong.

I've been a dungeon master for many years. When I've started DMing I was much closer in my MO to you, but since then I have changed my DMing style, and lo and behold, the game has actually become better. Let me assure you, my players are having a blast and enjoying every minute of it, and (if i may paraphrase you) after all, having fun is the key to good gaming. Have fun, and let your players have fun, otherwise you'll soon find yourself with a bunch of players that want to change DMs.

My only suggestion to people who are reading this: don't worry about it. if you wanna fudge the dice, and it works for you and your players, do it, no one would arrest you for that.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Nice essay.

When I was running 1e, I was able to incorporate the UA without any problems, and I've never had a player try to use a PunPun character in 3e simply because a good sandbox environment -- the kind of environment you are describing -- makes focusing on one thing either (1) a problem in other areas, which do occur regularly, or (2) suicidal.

Thanks for the essay!

RC

sinecure

First Post
My only suggestion to people who are reading this: don't worry about it. if you wanna fudge the dice, and it works for you and your players, do it, no one would arrest you for that.
No, but you are going to piss off most players you try this with because you're cheating them out of success. I mean, if I was busting my butt to break the 4-minute mile and you lied to me about my time to make it seem like I had, I'd be pissed. Why do the same in a roleplaying game?

Tewligan

First Post
But what I resent most of all is that what you are implying through the whole of your essay is that if I don't play it YOUR way than I'm playing it wrong.
Oh, ferchrissake. The essay is obviously just one man's opinions on the "right" way to play/write/whatever. If you actually resent what he wrote because you disagree with him, then...well, that's just pretty damn ridiculous. Toughen up, man.

Pants

First Post
Oh, ferchrissake. The essay is obviously just one man's opinions on the "right" way to play/write/whatever. If you actually resent what he wrote because you disagree with him, then...well, that's just pretty damn ridiculous. Toughen up, man.
I disagree with some things in the OP's post, but I agree with this. :eek:

Everyone has opinions, but not everyone states them in such well-organized and well-written ways, so kudos to Jim. You've given me some things to think about for when I DM my next game. :)

eric mcloins

First Post

No, I don't resent him having a different opinion than mine. That's cool, and whatever works in his game then fine. However, what came through to me from his post is not that this is just an "opinion" but rather a lecture on how to play a "good" game, in a sort of "if you don't do like i say, than you'll have an awful game" way.

Probably the intentions were good, but it came off pretty bad, IMO.

eric mcloins

First Post
No, but you are going to piss off most players you try this with because you're cheating them out of success. I mean, if I was busting my butt to break the 4-minute mile and you lied to me about my time to make it seem like I had, I'd be pissed. Why do the same in a roleplaying game?

Because you want to have fun (both for you and the players). If you feel like it would increase the fun, for any reason whatsoever, then why not?

BTW, I would do that only on very rare occasions, but I can think of a game where you fudge alot but is still alot of fun, a la Paranoia.

Remove ads