• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guilty pleasures

Mallus

Legend
There is no shame greater than having someone catch you watching Little House on the Prairie reruns. :eek:
Yes there is...

Could have been worse...you might have been stuck on Highway to Heaven!:p
... and this is it.

The movie "Heathers".
Heathers is just a pleasure.

Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals.... ALL of them.
I wouldn't go that far, because I'd have to include Starlight Express, but Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber was responsible for Jesus Christ Superstar, and for that I will always love him.

"I love my dead gay son!"
"Wonder how he'd react if his son had a limp wrist with a pulse."

Anyone besides me enjoy Idiocracy?
I thought is was one of the best (traditional) science fiction films of the last 20 years. Actually, it's one of the only traditional SF films released --in a manner of speaking-- in the last couple of decades.

edit: As for my guilty pleasures... I'm tempted to say A Knight's Tale but, again, that films is simply a pleasure; charming, exciting, clever. It's even blessed with a scene of pure, unadulterated, old-timey cinema magic -- the ball where the faux-medieval music morhps seamlessly into Bowie's Golden Years.

Wait, I've got one... the Tom Cruise and Bryan Brown opus, Cocktail.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Besides Idiocracy, I'm also a fan of its older action adventure black comedy cousin, Running Man (feat. The Governator).

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Sounds like the Queen's Blade tv series. Except it did have well animated fight scenes. It was all about fighting and fanservice. Often at the same time.

Yeah, I've really been meaning to watch that one. I saw the first episode with a ridiculously awful subtitling job (the sentences weren't grammatically correct, some parts were clearly mistranslating just by context clues of what was going on, and whole sections of dialogue hadn't been subtitled AT ALL) a while back and it seemed great, assuming I could find a better sub of it.

Lately though I've been watching Ikkitousen. It combines fanservice, fighting, and a rather pitiful attempt to tie it in with history (or historical fiction, since just like Dynasty Warriors it's more based on what's written in Romance of the Three Kingdoms than the actual history), since the characters all supposedly carry the spirits of the ancient Chinese warriors from that age and have to cope with their lives and deaths possibly being fated to mirror the history. It's...really a lot less deep than that in practice, though. And the animation is fairly fluid but unfortunately like a lot of shonen anime it ends up not having much actual fighting animation and resorting to hadoken type energy attacks and "demonic possession" super powered states. But overall it's as good as most fighting anime in that aspect, has good fanservice, and some funny moments, so solid overall.

EDIT: The music's pretty good, too, at least the 1st two season opening songs. Drivin' Through the Night, and Heart & Soul.

catsclaw227

First Post
Some people have said "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" falls into this category. I'm not sure that it does, but I thought it was great.
I think the first few episodes may have given people this impression because the 300-style blood and the raunchy sex was over-the-top. The storyline actually came together quite nicely over the course of the season. I really enjoyed it.

The prequel is starting off like the Blood and Sand. Lots of blood spray and sex.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
gotts toss my hat in on this. i am sure there are some who have already mentioned some of these, but here they are:
Attack of the killer tomatoes
Killer clowns ffrom outher space
Transilvania 6-5000
Saturday the 14th
and as inconceivable as tha may be:
the princess bride.

Scott-hides face in shame-DeWar

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads