• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Guinness surger

Dioltach

Legend
I'm having some friends round this weekend to watch the RWC final, and some of the cans of Guinness I ordered turned out to be "surger": you're supposed to pour the Guinness gently into your glass, place it on the "surger" unit, and this then releases the gases which form the foam. As far as I can tell, it's sonic-based.

Needless to say, having never even heard of this contraption before, I don't have a surger unit. Not only that, they're not for sale anywhere (either the original Guinness version or a more generic "sonic beer foamer").

So, does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative approach? Shaking, pouring vigourously, a milk frother, an NOx gourmet whip? It's only a couple of cans, so no great loss if it doesn't work, but I'm willing to experiment with the ones I have.

Actually, putting the beer on top of a loud speaker may actually work. It would vibrate the beer and potentially work like the surger. However, Google also tells me that the surger was "ultrasonic", so the lower frequency stuff may not work as well. Try some disco instead of metal. If that doesn't work, or you can't stand disco, you could also try holding an electric toothbrush up against the glass. Most of those are ultrasonic.

Dioltach

Legend
Thanks guys.
I'm going to start by putting my sonic toothbrush against the glass, the next experiment is to run my finger along the rim of the glass. After that, just plain old shaking I think.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Maybe use a new brush so the minty freshness does not taint the wonderful yummieness of Guinness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads