D&D 5E Gun Mages & Warjacks: Iron Kingdoms Coming to 5E

Privateer Press has announced that it's longstanding fantasy steampunk RPG and setting is coming to 5th Edition with Iron Kingdoms: Requiem.

Privateer Press has announced that it's longstanding fantasy steampunk RPG and setting is coming to 5th Edition with Iron Kingdoms: Requiem.

16x9IKRPGTrainCover.png

The Iron Kingdoms launched way back in 2001 with a trilogy of d20 System adventures for D&D 3E. Later came a campaign setting, monster book, miniatures game, and more. The RPG later evolved into a d6 system and the full Iron Kingdoms RPG.

This latest iteration, Iron Kingdoms: Requiem, is a new edition of the Iron Kingdoms RPG, powered by the 5E rules.

Delve into the award-winning world of the Iron Kingdoms with the latest edition of the Iron Kingdoms Role Playing Game from Privateer Press. Iron Kingdoms: Requiem combines this fantastic setting with the newest edition of the world’s most popular roleplaying game.

Your character can be a human, gobber, trollkin, Rhulic dwarf, ogrun, Iosan, or Nyss elf; and there are new classes such as gun mages, arcane mechanics, combat alchemists, and warcasters. Plus, of course, gets, spells, setting information, and a section on 'arcane technologies'.

It'll be coming to Kickstarter later this year.

Sure, I'd be interested. I mostly picked up the two 3.5 Monsternomicons and then some cheap second hand early warmachine books for the world and faction flavor so I am not deeply plugged in to the last decade of their stuff or how GW is involved.

Iron Kingdoms has, for the past decade and a half, been primarily a wargame setting (the Warmachine/Hordes games). It never really broke out of the hobby gaming shop market but was a lot faster to play than 40k, quite a bit cheaper to field an army, and worked on the "Imbalanced balance" (or whatever it's called) principle where most things in the game were broken in ways that cancelled each other out and more or less worked well. It never really broke out of the "game you play when you're fed up of 40k being a time and money sink" niche but it was extremely easy as a game to move on from 40k or Warhammer Fantasy to.

Round 2013-2015 they were in a really good place. 40k drew people in - but they had a much better game that looked almost as good. People who found 40k not tactical enough often moved to Warmahordes. People who found 40k too slow often moved to Warmahordes. People who wanted there to always be a chance to win often moved to Warmahordes. And Games Workshop had just blown up the Warhammer Fantasy setting and replaced it with a terrible game that didn't even have a points system (Age of Sigmar) causing an influx of gamers towards all the second tier tabletop wargames. And Warmahordes was better placed than most of its rivals to take the competitive gamers because the game had very similar design assumptions and even stats, so was easier to learn.

The seeds of disaster had already been planted. The first was that GW fired its CEO and replaced him with someone that thought they should listen to the fans. It sounds like an obvious thing you should do but GW stopped being utterly arrogant and even ignoring things like Facebook. The second was that PP had shafted the friendly local game stores to chase the internet profit margins. So the friendly local game stores stopped pointing newbies looking for something other than 40k at Warmahordes. It would take a few years for the impact of this to become obvious because the existing players didn't stop playing or buying and online profit margins were high, but gaming shops slowly stopped stocking them because they didn't want to give people their first taste and then have the future minis bought through the internet.

Then we have the tale of three new games, two in 2017 and one in 2018. The first new game was Warhammer 40k, 8th edition. It was a much faster playing game than its predecessor with much more flexibility in list building. Up went a lot of the reasons to switch to Warmahordes in a puff of smoke and indeed players went trickling back. They didn't come the other way, of course, because the hobby shops weren't recommending it and the groups playing there had been suffering natural attrition. The second was Warmachine/Hordes Mk3 and any edition change annoys people and loses players - who looked at what GW were doing. This was particularly true in my Skorne faction where it was obvious that the entire faction update had been half-assed and they were almost unplayably weak (the entire faction got overhauled a year later). The third was Age of Sigmar 2e - which I'm told was a pretty good game and has great looking fantasy minis.

So Privateer Press had a new edition that wasn't bringing in new people. Old players weren't buying new minis because they already had more than they needed for viable armies. People weren't finding the Warmachine groups because they weren't in the local gaming shops (they'd naturally moved to private homes or fallen apart over time and new ones weren't being set up in gaming shops with the products leaving the shelves). This was not going well.

The first thing they tried was selling entirely new armies in the Grucible Guard, the Grymkin, and now the Infernals. In 2006, when Hordes launched, there were nine separate factions with the Minions faction having models (that would work for multiple other factions) but being short of leaders; no one was surprised when they became a faction in 2010. There'd also been one new army launched in 2009 (who'd had one of the most popular models in the game since 2003), and one army in 2013 that was only a mini-faction and that had been around in the fluff since the Witchfire trilogy in about 2000. There has been a new faction launched in each of 2017, 2018, and 2019 and at least one of these factions is already out of production. The other two don't really fit the Warmahordes aesthetics; the Grymkin are the monsters under the bed and the Infernals are demons, demon summoners, and demon worshippers who've come in to nuke the setting.

The second thing they tried shattered one of their huge advantages over GW. Games Workshop wargames have "Codex Creep"; the new army book is generally the one with the strongest armies at any given time. This is annoying. It also sells minatures as people jump on the new bandwagon. Warmahordes, as a game for more competitive gamers, used to produce new minatures by advancing the storyline. And instead of completely overhauling a faction they gave a few models to all the Warmachine factions or all the Hordes factions. Some would probably be a bit overtuned but it didn't disrupt balance much because there would be a minimum of four (and normally five or six) factions all sorting through their new stuff at the same time. Instead they moved to a "CID" system where they focused on one part of one of the factions and revamped it. That faction almost always jumped straight to the top of the power rankings, making people enthused to play it ... and everyone else grit their teeth at the new wave of broken stuff. Again this sold minatures to people who played the faction with the new broken stuff but was bad for the long term health of the game.

Instead of a new army set this time they've gone with "Riot Quest" - a set of boardgames with a goofy post-apocalyptic feel to provide the new minatures. Which coaxes you into buying the board game with models for multiple armies (PP has always been good at that through the Mercenary/Minions system which coincidentally they broke in Mk3). And adding goofiness to a game that styled itself "Full Metal Fantasy" (which they dropped when they were big enough to produce plastic minis) with a tag line "Play like you've got a pair" didn't draw people in - but did come as a final straw to even more people.

They're in the process of nuking their setting as mentioned, and back in March had a kickstarter for a new attempt to be the 40k to Warmahordes Fantasy Battle; Warcaster: Neomechanica. It made just under half a million dollars off just under 2500 people. Which ... is probably not going to get critical mass to get people recruiting friends and buying again. By comparison their 2013 kickstarter for a computerised version of Warmachine managed $1.5 million with almost 20,000 backers.

imagineGod

Legend
They are in the process of blowing up the Iron Kingdoms setting over in the Warmachine wargame. One of the two human Gods that wasn't the Creator (possibly through her agents) made a deal with the Infernals (demons) so the humans could have magic and in doing save themselves from extinction at the hands of the Orgoth. There were two parts to this deal; the first involved feeding the Elven gods to the Infernals. Recently in the setting (and recently in real life, as in starting in about June 2019) the second part of the deal became due; the Infernals are now here to claim the souls of, from memory, a third of all the humans.

The 3e rules for PCs were a little unbalanced and a little "square peg in a round hole"; I hope the 5e rules will be better. On the other hand the 3e Monsternomicon was arguably the best monster manual produced for 3.X by anyone (although is non-comparable with the MM1 of course). It was full of interesting and memorable monsters with nice adventuring hooks to get involved with.

A lot of the reason for blowing up the Iron Kingdoms dates back to some poor decisions made over the past decade by Privateer Press - and to Games Workshop getting rid of their liability of a CEO and sorting themselves out about five years ago - I could go into details if anyone is interested.
Privateer Press is the poor cousin to Games Workshop so I am curious about this and business acumen in general.

Now I am wondering if the Iron Kingdom is steampunk and with firearms.... could players and DM to invent any magic anti-bullets? for example illusory magic as smoke grenades, or piece of ectoplams to water gunpowder or to block canons, or summoning flying swarms.

pogre

Legend
I painted quite a few commissions for IK players years ago. The local scene around here ebbs and flows much like GW, but is at a very low point now. Reading these posts, that makes a lot of sense.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I loved the rollout of the Grymkin faction. It was very community involved and was a beautiful slow build-up to the announcement. The Infernals rollout was... not. Granted I play Gatormen and Knife-ears, so my tourney chances were never good, even if I were a talented tactician. I love the setting. The Monsternomicon is still the best monster book of the past 20 years. I am excited to see them bring IK to 5e. Gives me an excuse for all the miniatures I own lol

Plageman

Explorer
I really like the original Witchfire trilogy as it was somewhat fresh. It had that Warhammer Fantasy vibes with a "modern" take. But then they released the WM MkI and I found that the setting became too much focused on military conflicts and not enough on the rest.

Also the RPG content, either for the original 3.x version or for the IKRPG version, is rolled out in the regular in-house magazine. Which makes it very complicated for anybody outside the US to get access to...

Azuresun

Adventurer
Privateer Press is the poor cousin to Games Workshop so I am curious about this and business acumen in general.

Personally, I'd say they were more White Wolf to TSR, or Image Comics to Marvel / DC. The plucky young contender that took advantage of the big dog being increasing complacent and out of touch, and looked at least for a time like they might just topple the old guard, before things turned out differently.

Now I am wondering if the Iron Kingdom is steampunk and with firearms.... could players and DM to invent any magic anti-bullets? for example illusory magic as smoke grenades, or piece of ectoplams to water gunpowder or to block canons, or summoning flying swarms.

Alchemical stuff is very common in the setting (and it's the stock in trade of the Crucible Guard faction), and does include stuff like smoke grenades or blinding oil. And magic in general is a big part of the reason that while firearms are common, they don't completely dominate the battlefield.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I ran the original Witchfire Trilogy when it first came out at the dawn of 3E. Picked up the Monsternomicon and Campaign Setting books (they were huge!). Overall impression - fantastic art and setting ideas, really fell down on adapting the 3e mechanics to their vision in the campaign books. I believe IK was going to be it's own RPG system before the 3E OGL boom started. Remnants of that other system were all over the place, and it wasn't pretty. Too many sub-systems and crunch, even for 3E.

(The Monsternomicon was solid though, as there weren't a lot of new mechanics introduced, and is still probably one of my favorite 3E books.)

I played a session of the newer IK RPG at GenCon one year, and actually rather enjoyed it. However, never picked it up as I didn't think I could get my group to switch systems.

My only concern with the 5E edition is a repeat of overdoing the crunch for gear and magic items (and stuff that falls in between) and not paying attention to the KISS design philosophy of 5E. Pathfinder may be a better system if they want to stick with a highly detailed approach.

But, it's been a long time since the original IK, it's not the early days of a new edition everyone is still figuring out, and their RPG team is likely comprised of more experienced people, both old and new. So here's hoping they do justice both to their own setting and 5E with Requiem.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am sorry for any company that can't find a big enough audience to publish its own system, even if some of those problems are of their own making. But as a D&D DM, I'm always glad to see more material made available for the core game that I can crib from, adapt or otherwise incorporate. (I run games in Ptolus, so steampunk stuff, even if it's starting to break down or corrode, has its place.)

Remove ads

Remove ads