• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GURPS: I don't wanna play it, but I wanna buy it.

I'm told from a few sources that GURPS has some tasty materials that might just be enjoyable for just about anyone.

I've also read enough that I don't think (and my group of D&D folk are unlikely to believe) that switching systems is doable.

But, I'm always open to other games, especially their best offerings.

What are the very best products that GURPS has to offer?

avin

First Post
I guess it depends the game you want ro run.

Fantasy and Fantasy bestiary have some nice ideas.

But what really shines, IMO, is the system itself...

Thanks for the reply, and I've heard good things overall. I just don't think it's right for my current group.
I really, REALLY don't mean to disparage the system.

I'm looking for the excellent offerings that it likely (and I've heard) has provided, offerings that might be usable in other game systems.

A bit more about myself and my group, though. Personally, I love demons and fey, but others in my group are steampunkish, classical fantasy, conanesque/swords and sorcery, and old school.

We're an eclectic bunch, which is why I'm just looking for good source material, in whatever form it takes.

(Our group would be unlikely to use modern or sci-fi materials, but if they were simple to repurpose, that'd be totally fine...like an adventure rather than a whole themed world or character kit type supplement. I once ran a modern Cthulu adventure in Midnight by Fantasy Flight Games, changing the helicopters to griffons with adapted ballista and the scientists to alchemists.)

Thanks to all who can help us out.

Paradox

First Post
I like the various settings the setting books offer. Want time travel? There's a few books for that. Want 50's B movie action? There's a book for that. Want to play in an Egyptian setting? Yep, book for that. Cliffhangers, cyberworld, space, horror.... The list is HUGE.

Then there's the oddball sourcebook here and there. A remake of Bunnies and Burrows, for example. One of my personal favorites is Y2K, and yes, I got it before that fateful date.

Definately great as source material if you want to run another game.

Paradox (and others), do you recommend basically buying books as their genre appeals to non-players of GURPS? (That's not a trick question, by the way. I'm just trying to find out the extent of what is easily ported over in terms of either worlds/sourcebooks/historical genres or locations/etc.)

I love Egypt, and a book based there would likely be very appealing for me.

I guess I'm now asking if the list might be too large, and if it is, how to narrow it down (by quality, with the help of ENworld posters or with reviews OR if quality is fairly consistent, by genre, theme, usage--e.g. adventure versus setting book versus a player "kit" book.

Again, thanks to all for help and info provided.

Paradox

First Post
Yes, you can get the books without playing the system. I've never played GURPS, but I've quite a few books. (Reign of Steel, for example is a setting where the machines won the war. Think Terminator.)

I do have the Egypt book and it's pretty neat.

And you don't have to get them all. Just the ones that you're interested in. They often do cross reference other books, but that's always optional. (I.E. A book would list how you could combine that sourcebook with say, GURPS Horror, or GURPS Space.)

Paradox

First Post
And, some are fun to read as well. Especially something like Y2K, which wasn't trying to "predict" what WILL happen but what would happen. And many times the books "look back" at future events. (In 2017, Congress voted to repeal the Constitution..)

One warning- I did try to make a vehicle from the Vehicles book, and it was just a number crunch mess. That book taught me sometimes it's just easier to say "You have a car, be sure to fill it with gas now and then and we'll assume you take care of it during downtimes." and move on than stat out every detail.

Argyle King

Legend
And, some are fun to read as well. Especially something like Y2K, which wasn't trying to "predict" what WILL happen but what would happen. And many times the books "look back" at future events. (In 2017, Congress voted to repeal the Constitution..)

One warning- I did try to make a vehicle from the Vehicles book, and it was just a number crunch mess. That book taught me sometimes it's just easier to say "You have a car, be sure to fill it with gas now and then and we'll assume you take care of it during downtimes." and move on than stat out every detail.

Yeah, vehicles is a little rough. That was a 3rd Edition product though; 4th Edition is still crunchy, but not nearly as much. A lot of things (such as passive defense) were smoothed out of the system.

Still, GURPS 3rd Edition had (and still has) some of the best fluff and setting books. The nice thing is that a lot of them are really cheap now.

I'm particular fond of GURPS Religion; it had some good advice on how to make a religion feel real/plausible in the context of a setting. It also talked in depth about some of the concepts of real life religions, and why certain things evolved the way they did. It's an interesting read.

It's hard to suggest something without knowing what your interests are, so it's probably easiest to just provide a link to some of the products and give you a chance to browse over them. GURPS Worldbook Index

I would suggest GURPS Lite. I know you said you're more interested in buying than playing, but Lite is a free pdf which explains the basic ideas behind how the system works. You don't need to understand the crunch to understand a lot of the books, but it might be a good resource to have if you ever feel more curious. That can be found here: e23: GURPS Lite (Fourth Edition)

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I haven't actually looked at GURPS since before 4e (that's 4e GURPS, not 4e D&D) came out.

But I used to be a big fan of the books. The historical books were EXCELLENT sources of information for anyone, regardless of system. The Rome, Greek, Russia books were all beyond awesome. Also I highly recommend GURPS Voodoo, even though it (and most likely the other three) are OOP.

As for the system... it has a GREAT character generation system, but from what I saw of 4e's combat system, it did nothing to fix the gaping holes that made it a nightmare to run as either a DM or player. I wouldn't personally touch it with a 10' pole.

Remove ads