GURPS PDF Challenge 2021

A modern, treasure hunting game is not something I would think to run long term, but sounds great for a mini-campaign. And GURPS does really well with modern era stuff, especially in 4e. 3e had a few clunky rules for guns (especially shotguns); 4e has smoothed all that out and made it much easier to run.

Templar's Gold does sound cool. Bizarrely, despite playing GURPS since the '90s, I've never used the gun rules! I have never run or played in a modern game. Time to remedy that.

Daosus

Explorer
This is a screaming deal. Ten PDFs for $3 is pretty great. I am not planning on using all of them, as they're quite scattered in topic. I think that's the intent: give everyone one or two that they're really into and a few that they will use later.

The one I'm really looking forward to is Ring Fort. Also, Spies of Venice looks promising and I might use Gates. Either way, my $3 will go far.

Finally, although I'm a GURPS fan, most of these PDFs are not terribly tied to the system. As an example, the three I'm looking forward to are mostly system agnostic. Everyone can use a ringfort or 3 in their campaign :D

dbm

Savage!
Bizarrely, despite playing GURPS since the '90s, I've never used the gun rules! I have never run or played in a modern game. Time to remedy that.
One of the best things about GURPS is how easy it can be to run a game based on an existing media property. We played several WH40K games years before the ‘official’ games came out, using GURPS. It was super easy to do if you are happy to squint a little while adapting stuff. 40K guns are really easy to represent in GURPS.
I'm currently running a game in my local game store using DFRPG (and the Delvers to Grow supplement for it). I think we are up to session 8 of what I intended to run for a week or two.
DFRPG is pretty much a complete game in a box easily comparable to Basic + Expert D&D. You could play a full, long term game with nothing additional needed. You might want the book of additional monsters but even that is far from essential.

dbm

Savage!
In to the last 48 hours and the campaign is getting close to unlocking the last two stretch goals (one based on money, one based on numbers of backers).

if you are still thinking about backing, Douglas Cole is one of the contributors (and the author of the brilliant Nordlond campaign with a Viking feel) and has some more thoughts on it here.

Of the full set of twelve items (if we get there):
  • There are two long-form adventures
  • Two detailed encounter locations
  • A set of five short form adventures
  • A planet guide
  • A city guide
  • A set of alternate timelines spinning out of Egypt
  • A system neutral book on how to run high-level campaigns
  • One on magical gates
  • Two on expanding modern action or dungeon fantasy games into adjacent genres (Predator meets Steampunk perhaps...)
Only the two Twists books are highly GURPS specific, with everything else either highly portable or system neutral.

I’m just a backer, but I really want that Templar Gold adventure :)

We're likely to see the 11th PDF unlock in the next few hours ($878 to go). We still need another 115 backers to unlock Templar's Gold.

$3 for a dozen high-quality supplements. You know you want to!

dbm

Savage!
Some more details have been teased about the Dungeon Fantasy: Twists PDF:

DF Twists 20210718a.png

This nicely addressed one of the perennial questions: what do dungeoneers do with all the wealth they acquire. By land and titles! Have a retinue!

dbm

Savage!
With about 15 hours to go, DF23 unlocked:

9bb768ef4d59437ab27b06e33aa13994_original.png

Just 34 more backers at $3 or more needed to unlock the last stretch goal:

615643ad1981cffa8866c0afdf124b7e_original.png

That’s 11 high quality, already written PDFs g for $3; 12 with a bit of luck.

Last edited:

Davies

Legend
And that's that until this time next year! The two Twists books, the How to Be A GURPS GM volumes and the Egyptian AUs title were the ones that I really wanted, but everything else looks really interesting as well.

Remove ads