Gygax Magazine? [UPDATE 3 - Electric Boogaloo]

Alphastream

Adventurer
I'm generally wary of efforts by different entities to capitalize upon a defunct business or product name. On the other hand, the history of TSR and Gygax... geez, who knows what's right?

And, I'm always glad to see new companies and new ideas enter the gaming space. It will be cool to see how this new offering shapes up. There are so many ways to take a gaming magazine and so many pitfalls in the industry. One of the problems magazines face is the high amount of quality content available on the internet (for free). What's Upcoming? Covered by excellent bloggers. Product Reviews? Covered by tons of fans and sites like BoardGameGeek. Interviews with top talent? Covered by blogs and podcasts. Game content? Everywhere.

Quality does matter, and there is a market. But it is a tough one. KQ did a really good job, and it even tried to appeal to two key demographics.

In the end, I hope the best for this effort and look forward to what it can offer. As with anything new, I hope it furthers our hobby!

Agamon

Adventurer
Nerdgasm time. I'm rereading the old Dragon mags right now (on ish #52) and have though much recently about a new OSR-type magazine. Awesome news!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
This makes my day. I was really bummed about the cancellation of Kobold Quarterly. It will be great to have a new RPG magazine to buy, and the fact that it is going to be filled with tons of old school goodness makes it even better.

Thulcondar

First Post
Seeing the additional information from Tim Kask makes my optimism somewhat less cautious. I do wonder at the economics of starting a print RPG magazine given the current state of the economy and the gaming hobby/industry as a whole, but there certainly are options that can be used to make it work, such as PoD.

And, there will be a certain audience (which includes myself) that will subscribe to the print edition for the express purpose of supporting some of the Old Guard names and the projects with which they're associated.

I'll buy in for a year just on spec, assuming they're not charging some ludicrous amount of money per issue.

Joe

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Seeing the additional information from Tim Kask makes my optimism somewhat less cautious. I do wonder at the economics of starting a print RPG magazine given the current state of the economy and the gaming hobby/industry as a whole, but there certainly are options that can be used to make it work, such as PoD.

And, there will be a certain audience (which includes myself) that will subscribe to the print edition for the express purpose of supporting some of the Old Guard names and the projects with which they're associated.

I'll buy in for a year just on spec, assuming they're not charging some ludicrous amount of money per issue.

From the blurb it really sounds like they will be supporting modern games, which personally, I have less than zero interest in.

I hate to say it, but I think game magazines work better when they only focus on 1 (or maybe 2 games). White Dwarf/The Dragon was good when it focused on D&D and Traveller, Challenge when it focused on Traveller , etc.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
While I think a lot of folk understand this already, since there may be some confusion.

It should be made clear that Gygax magazine has no rights to any of Gary's non-WoTC owned IP, that is all still owned by Trigee/Gygax Games/Gail Gygax. She is not involved or working with them in this endeavor at all. Since the term "Gygax" and "Gygax family" can be confusing in this context, I just needed to clear that up.

If anybody has questions for Gail on this, you can reach her on her Facebook page).

Remove ads