Gygax Memorial Statue Concept Proposal

The memorial for D&D co-creator Gary Gygax, who passed away in 2008 at the age of 69, has long been in the planning. Gary's wife, Gail Gygax, has been at the forefront of the fundraising and city council negotiations to get the project done, and current hopes are to start work by Spring 2015. The sculptor hired for the task is the same man who completed the Fonz statue in Milwaukee, while fantasy artist Larry Elmore came up with the concept sketch.

The memorial for D&D co-creator Gary Gygax, who passed away in 2008 at the age of 69, has long been in the planning. Gary's wife, Gail Gygax, has been at the forefront of the fundraising and city council negotiations to get the project done, and current hopes are to start work by Spring 2015. The sculptor hired for the task is the same man who completed the Fonz statue in Milwaukee, while fantasy artist Larry Elmore came up with the concept sketch.

The concept has grown over the years - at first it was just a plinth and a bust; now it is larger (7' tall) and more complex, and Gail Gygax wants to include computer chips which enable people to use their smartphones to access information about Gary, listen to recorded histories, and the like.

The project has taken a long time, in part due to Gail Gygax's health, and in part because the Lake Geneva Planning Commission prefers to place the statue in a different location to Gail's choice.

Lake Geneva News has more information.

gygax.jpg

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I always thought the best tribute would be a life sized bronze Gary sitting at a table behind a DM screen with 6 or 8 empty chairs so we could all sit at Gary's table if we got the chance.

I think that'd be a great monument! And he'd be running Tomb of Horros, of course.

Seriously, Thunderfoot, that's really a brilliant idea. Hey people reading this: perhaps we ought to push this as a grassroots idea? Consider how cool that'd be: a few iconic books and whatnot on the table, Gary running ToH, and places for people to sit and join him - what better way to memorialize and honor the man behind RPGs and one of the core cultural components of them: the "come and join us!" attitude that defines most game tables.

Grumbleputty

Explorer
I always thought the best tribute would be a life sized bronze Gary sitting at a table behind a DM screen with 6 or 8 empty chairs so we could all sit at Gary's table if we got the chance.

I absolutely LOVE that idea! At the very least, his head peering out from behind the DM screen.

Alternately, a pair of giant 20 sided dice, one with Gary's face on the 20 spot, the other with the original D&D logo.

skinnydwarf

Explorer

That is a seriously great idea.

I imagine gaming groups making a pilgrimage to the memorial to take photos of their groups "game with Gygax." Maybe they could even play a quick game. (The table would maybe need to be replaceable for that reason. Perhaps the monument could be a bronze statue/DM screen/dice with a wooden table).

The memorial could still include the computer chips, etc. that Gail Gygax wanted. (I think those are a great idea).

Last edited by a moderator:

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I have to admit, the design leaves a lot to be desired. Simplicity is good.

I do drop by Lake Geneva once in a while; I'd rather see something a little more tasteful as a memorial.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games

:D I had the same thought. Or a park bench so you could sit next to him for pictures (maybe adding other designers in later behind and around the bench).

Ron

Explorer
I find the design to be terrible. There are too many elements cluttered in a single piece in such way that the message is lost in the confusion.

In the city I live, Rio, there are several statues of famous people in real size. Some can be very elaborate as of a famous composer who is literally siting in a bar table while a waiter is serving him a drink. They are all very effective in showing some aspect of the life of those people.

The concept of Gygax on an empty table is great but may be too expensive. In that case, I would suggest a statue of him holding the AD&D books on one hand while playing with some dice in the other. It would be simple and insightful of his achievements.

ryanroyce

Explorer

I also had the same idea and support it fully. Especially if they build the table so
folks can actually play on it. Sculpt a 1" square grid into the tabletop,
too, and it'd be perfect. : )

I also had the same idea and support it fully. Especially if they build the table so folks can actually play on it. Sculpt a 1" square grid into the tabletop, too, and it'd be perfect. : )
Nah, Gary liked historical miniature battles, (Chainmail,remember) everyone needs a ruler - lol.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads