Gygaxian Monsters

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Griffith Dragonlake said:
Except that Snorri Sturlasson's description had nothing about Svartalfr having some characteristics of black widow spiders, e.g. females larger and more powerful than males and worshipping a black widow spider-goddess. Or shooting hand crossbows for that matter. In addition, many scholars maintain that Svartalfr were just another name for the Dvergr.
Gygax created the details of the AD&D version, which is pretty unique, but dark elves had their inspirational roots in that source, which, as you note, also served as inspiration for the derro dwarves.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Except that Snorri Sturlasson's description had nothing about Svartalfr having some characteristics of black widow spiders, e.g. females larger and more powerful than males and worshipping a black widow spider-goddess. Or shooting hand crossbows for that matter. In addition, many scholars maintain that Svartalfr were just another name for the Dvergr.

That's all true. However, Snorri Sturlasson does describe dark elves who live underground and have a nature different than the light elves. So sure, Mr. Gygax created some additional detail but the basic idea was already there.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Gentlegamer said:
Gygax created the details of the AD&D version, which is pretty unique, but dark elves had their inspirational roots in that source, which, as you note, also served as inspiration for the derro dwarves.
Duergar. The derro are part of the "Shaver Mystery" mythos of 1940's serial fiction.

Demiurge out.

pawsplay

Hero

Main Entry: quis·ling
Pronunciation: 'kwiz-li[ng]
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Vidkun Quisling died 1945 Norwegian politician who collaborated with the Nazis
: TRAITOR 2, : COLLABORATOR
- quis·ling·ism /-li[ng]-"i-z&m/ noun

cwhs01

First Post
pawsplay said:
Main Entry: quis·ling
Pronunciation: 'kwiz-li[ng]
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Vidkun Quisling died 1945 Norwegian politician who collaborated with the Nazis
: TRAITOR 2, : COLLABORATOR
- quis·ling·ism /-li[ng]-"i-z&m/ noun

My guess is that quasit was derived from the prefix quasi (meaning "similar to..." or "to some degree..."). a fire-quasit would be a creature related to the element of fire.

Huw

First Post
More suggestions

Ear Seeker [AD&D MM Gygax]
Earwig from folklore. They were rumoured to crawl into peoples ears and lay eggs.

Stirge [possibly derived from the Roman owl-like nightbird striga]
Found more info here. The term variously means "owl", "vampire" and "witch", and is all over Eastern Europe.

Su-Monster [Eldritch Wizardry Gygax & Blume]
I thought they were from mesoamerican mythology? I'm sure I read an account of a creature with a prehenisle tail called "su" which carried its young on its back, and was so fierce that it would eat the young rather than allow them to be captured. If I find the reference I'll get back to you.

Remove ads